Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who are working through some type of mealtime, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner, do you bring your own from home, or pick something up at work or nearby?

I try very hard to remember to bring my lunch with me to school. However, on the days I forget, I have to be honest, it is no hardship to buy a slice of pizza from the cafeteria. The food service we have a contract with has a variety of healthy foods every day. Kids can get pizza every day, but it's whole wheat crust, organic homemade sauce, low fat cheese, etc. It's delicious! They also have salads and wraps and fruit and veggies, etc. It's healthy and well-priced, so if I do forget, I'm set.

That being said, I honestly do try to remember to bring from home, and do pretty well with that. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't bring anything...

I get up at 6:00 am and have to be at work by 8:00 am however i have to travel at least 1 hour to get there... so i try and get ready and pick a few t hings up in the morning before i leave for work and then i get home at around 3:00 pm and then i eat...
Trying to lose weight right now so have decided that i need to start eating something for breakfast and lunch....

For those of us who are working through some type of mealtime, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner, do you bring your own from home, or pick something up at work or nearby?

I try very hard to remember to bring my lunch with me to school. However, on the days I forget, I have to be honest, it is no hardship to buy a slice of pizza from the cafeteria. The food service we have a contract with has a variety of healthy foods every day. Kids can get pizza every day, but it's whole wheat crust, organic homemade sauce, low fat cheese, etc. It's delicious! They also have salads and wraps and fruit and veggies, etc. It's healthy and well-priced, so if I do forget, I'm set.

That being said, I honestly do try to remember to bring from home, and do pretty well with that. :)

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Bring! I love bringing leftovers most of the time. Join the "bring your lunch to work" challenge and you can see all the great ideas people have for what they bring to work. I try to bring things that don't need refrigeration but if I'm leery it needs refrigeration and don't know where I'll be, I grab a big Blue Ice cooler square.

I've tried not to go out for lunch AT ALL due to finances, and most days I don't even think about it. The only time it really nags at me is the super-social groups going to some place really yummy. Having a lunch already packed, though, helps to say "no".

Reactions: rissimo and AmyBoz

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
For the most part, I bring my lunch and breakfast from home. Breakfast is usually fresh fruit. Lunch is generally leftovers, a sandwich, or a can of soup.

When we do get take-out at work, it's typically from an ultra cheap Mexican restaraunt or a coworker and I split a two entree Chinese meal.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I try to bring mine as well! It's usually a can of soup or a sandwich...I make myself a big breakfast in the morning so I'm not real hungry during lunchtime.

But by mid-afternoon....the munchies hit me. I keep some crackers, peanuts, and trailmix (I've also been known to keep a box of cereal in there too) in my cabinet at work....so I can grab something to fill the cracks!

My DH works at a place that has a cafeteria that I am so envious of. For $2.00 he can get a roast beef dinner complete with mashed potatoes and vegtable and a roll! But he does try to remember to bring things from home. He's not as diligent about it as I would like him to be.....but one step at a time!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm still unemployed but I spend a big part of the day at hubbys work so won't have to hire someone. I keep food there for both of us. Once in a great while I'll run out of everything there and do a 99cent heart attack for us. Or just skip it.
Right now there's orange juice, peanuts, bread, lunchmeat and oatmeal.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well i travel so much with my work it is nothing for me to do 500 miles in a day. So i dont want to pack a lunch and have to have all the cold packs, So the dollar menu at various fast food places are my friend. Right now i am doing the $2 value meal at taco bell. Also it is the summer so the kids go with me and so im feeding 3 now but i still get the $2 meals at it comes with a drink.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I pack my lunch most of the time. There is a cafeteria at work but it' s expensive and the food isn't really good. I usually bring leftovers too. I do prepare everything in the evenings as it makes things easier in the morning: I only need to throw everything in my lunch bag and out I go.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I nearly always take supper. The exception is Sunday. I take supper, but usually pick up a Wendy's salad on the way in to eat for lunch. Sleeping late and having to be at work earlier than other days, it is just a big time crunch and I don't stress nearly as much since I have started doing this.

However, starting this week until the end of August, I am working days Mon-Fri, so will always have to take lunch. It's too HOT to go get in the car to get something and you seriously risk having no decent place to park when you get back. I work in a big hospital/medical school, so there is a cafeteria, but it is a quite long hike from where I work, and with my arthritis, most days I just hurt too much to even think about going there.

I try to be prepared with good leftovers, but there may be some peanut butter sandwiches, which I consider undesirable and direst emergency rations, in my future with this new schedule.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I eat breakfast at home. I bring lunch(usually leftovers) and snacks. I try and stay away from the vending machines. I work in the city so eating out is expensive. I have lost 20lbs in the last year. Packing my lunch and snacks has helped alot with my weight lost.

I can eat much healthier by not eating out.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
It's rare for me to eat in the cafeteria at work . .. so rare that I currently have 3 birthday meal tickets, and a gift card from a patient, to use.

I pack leftovers from supper, pack my bag right after we eat - and just grab it from the fridge in the morning (I get up at 4:30 AM, leave around 5:20 AM - and for those that wonder, I go to bed around 10:30 PM)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i try to bring things with me but will buy out

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Eat breakfast at home, bring my lunch when its leftover soup or something, but if I buy my lunch at work it only costs $2.25, so I fiigured the $$ out and would cost me more to bring a lunch if I bought the stuff at the store to prepare. I bring iced tea everyday though, so I don't buy any drinks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I always bring!! In the past I used to frequent the company cafeteria however about three years ago they hired a new manager and the prices soared. Now a salad costs close to $7.00.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I bring my lunch 99.9% of the time. I don't have an actual lunch break. It is whenever I have a few minutes between clients. That might only be 4-5 min. If I didn't have my lunch there by the time I went next door to get it I'd be out of time.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I almost always bring lunch in. We have a cafeteria, but its prices have gone up and they have an amazing capability of taking what look like good ingredients and putting together a tasteless meal. I had a sandwich with some good looking roast beef and a horseradish sauce - it had no flavor. $6. I don't know how they do it. I just get a burger if I eat in. Fortunately, we have both fridges and microwaves in our work areas, so I can bring soup, salad, leftovers, sandwiches, fruit - whatever.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bring breakfast and lunch everyday. The food court at work has a very small selection and very high prices.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I bring my lunch everyday. On Sunday, I make something that will last through Wednesday, then I usually do leftovers for the last 2 days.

When I was living in the US, I was less strict about this, but in Denmark, it's very expensive to buy prepared food, and the vegetarian choices are quite limited.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bring my lunch. Always using leftover from the fridge so they don't get pushed to the back and forgotten about. The girls at work try to go out together once a month, but I am trying to get away frm that. It isn't cheap to eat out anymore. They charge an arm and a leg for a glass of tea.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lately, I've been very good about bringing my lunch. I ALWAYS bring my breakfast. However, I work with my husband & we have lunch together every day. He isn't as good about bringing a lunch - or wanting to eat the lunch I bring for both of us all the time. Sometimes he "convinces me to be bad." His words. :lol:
Eating with DH isn't cheap, he's a snob - so I try to pack lunch for both of us when I need to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts