Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a "kentucky mop"? Is it different than a regular mop?

I found a place selling "mop yarn" suitable for "kentucky mops" and they sell kentucky mops too. Wiki doesn't have a definition, I've never heard of them, and all the sites that I can find that sell them are Canadian or British. So...

What is it? How does it differ from a regular mop?

TIA --

Judi

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I thought it was the 'old school' type of mop? I guess you don't have them down in the US? I've only grown up with this thing. Had a huge wringer attached to the bucket to 'squeeze' the water out. It was super heavy when wet too.

HTH

·
Registered
358 Posts
As a Canadian and a former Brit, I have never heard the term "Kentucky mop" before. I'd have thought it was an American name.

However, it does seem to be just another name for a string mop.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am with Keith on this one. I have not heard the term Kentucky mop, the mops Libby has pictured are what I would call a string mop.

They are very old fashioned and have fallen out of fashion these days, what with the advent of foam/sponge and steam mops.

They do tend to wet everything through even if you do wring them out really well.

They also get quite stinky quite quickly :(

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
They also get quite stinky quite quickly :(
Oh tell me about it. Our cleaning lady at work, and I use the term "cleaning" very loosely, is horrible at taking carer of her mop. Once a week she gets the floor wet, she doesn't really mop IMO, and the leaves the half wrung out mop in the bottom of the pail, for the whole week. :smhelp: I have to leave the building until she's done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.