Frugal Village Forums banner

How Often Do You Wash Your Brita Water Pitcher?

• Once a week

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Once every two weeks

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • As needed

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • When its time to change the filter

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • What?! You're supposed to wash it?!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was pouring water for a friend and myself, I had a sudden cleaning attack and took it apart to scrub it real quick. My friend looked at me with such disbelief - not b/c I was taking the time to wash it "right then" - but when she said "You're supposed to wash those?!" that I just about died thinking about how many times I drink water at her place :yikes:

Just wondered how often those of you that own a Brita Pitcher wash it thoroughly with soap and water? Once a week, once a month, as needed, never? (I myself, wash it once a week)

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I haven't used mine for a long time, but when I was, I would say I washed it occasionally- like maybe every three or four fills. Not a real scrub - just a quick wash and rinse.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wash ours every time it's empty. Soap and water, rinse and pop the top with filter in and fill 'er up :).

·
4,028 Posts
When I replace the filter the innards go into the dishwasher. I hand wash the outer container as I figure the spout has a plastic/rubber gasket that would deteriorate with the heat.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Same as Ceashels, although I put the whole thing in the dishwasher. however, I wouldn't use any of the heated options to avoid warping.

·
8,714 Posts
~I don't have one but I voted every week. I have kept pitchers of water in the fridge before and that's when I washed those. "Plain" water can still carry and breed bacteria.
And I've always been extremely sensitive to how plastic picks up fridge odors that will in turn leach into the water. The only remedy is to wash the pitcher often.
But as a kid I used to drink from a groundwater pump in a cemetery that bordered a salt marsh and I never got sick and haven't died from it. Yuck though!~

·
Registered
94 Posts
We wash ours with filter changes too - we go through a lot of water, so really there isn't a full pitcher of water sitting for more than a day. I also imagine that dishes pick up germs in the dishwasher too, at least an old one like ours! I just figure if we're healthy, don't change the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts