Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my kids and I are in love with quite a few British television shows, and I'm looking for more, whether family friendly or just for me.

We've watched the entire series of Dr. Who and Sherlock and I'm in the midst of watching Call the Midwife. Does anyone have any other suggestions? We've been watching on Netflix and Vimeo. Not sure why, but there's just something about them that I enjoy so much. I think I was meant to be British...was just born in the wrong place at the wrong time. :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I liked Larkrise to Candleford. There a a few seasons I watched them on Amazon Prime

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
We're fond of the various police mysteries, but some of them might be too mature for kids. Foyle's War is probably the tamest of them, it's set in WW2 and follows an aging detective, his wounded assistant, and his RAF pilot son. It handles a lot of the moral issues of the time.

Inspector Lewis is set in modern day Oxford, following the aging Lewis and his fresh from college sidekick. It's mostly murders and intrigue among the university set.

Midsommer Murders is also modern day, but a little edgier, with more violence. It has more drama, as the two cops fight to do what is right, within the limits set by the haw.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
549 Posts
we watch a lot of british television.

some family favourites:
time team (an archeaological show - there is like 19 seasons)
grand designs (follow self builders build a home)
outnumbered (which is about a family with 3 kids; there are some swears in the show - but it's one of the funniest shows we've ever watched)

grown up favourites:
downton abbey
misfits (quite raunchy)
life on mars
upstairs downstairs (this is a remake they did a couple years ago)
coronation street (the ol' standby!)
wire in the blood
day of the trifids (a mini series remake they did a couple years ago)
vicar of dibley
2.4 children
shameless (very raunchy - swearing, drugs, nudity)
an idiot abroad

some of these are older shows.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just added Luther to my queue. It was recommended by a friend. It's a crime/detective/police type show. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but it's supposed to be really good.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooh, Imagine, my sister-in-law actually suggested Larkrise to Candleford. I keep meaning to check that out...thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just thought I would throw in my two-penn'orth, from England where we get lots of British TV! Yes, we do have some great programmes. I'd add my recommendation - if you get the chance, the series "Mr Selfridge" is also enjoyable, similar in vein to Downton Abbey, but set in the cut-'n'-thrust (!) world of early 20th Century retail.

Aren't we lucky, over here!?

If you enjoy the reruns of Time Team, please spare a thought for the family of the archaeologist of the bright, knitted sweaters and hats - Mick Aston, who died this week. I always wondered if he knit the jumpers himself.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you enjoy the reruns of Time Team, please spare a thought for the family of the archaeologist of the bright, knitted sweaters and hats - Mick Aston, who died this week. I always wondered if he knit the jumpers himself.
that makes me so sad. :(

·
4,028 Posts
Family oriented:

My Hero (alien superhero but not too bright)
Good Neighbors (a 40 yr old and his wife decide to go off grid in suburbia) this is my all time favorite
To the Manor Born (very funny from the 70's)
Keeping Up Appearances

List of BBC sitcoms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They probably have a list for drama's too and each link should take you to a page for descriptions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I love the Vicar of Dibley (very funny), and the Good Life (comedy about living self sufficiently in the suburbs). I just love British wit!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks, Brilly, for saying you love British wit. I will try to be more witty in my posts, from now on!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks Toffee! I will enjoy that.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I found another British Tv show I like.

I was looking of some mentioned above on my Hulu Plus. The next day there was a setting that listed the British shows they have available.
I tried wathching a show called "The Supersizers Go....."

These two people ( not large people at all) go to diffrent parts in British History for a week and eat and live ( including dress) the way they did in that time frame. The go to a doctor before and after the week to see how eating that way affected their health. Also you get a bit of a history lesson about that time.

The first episode was during the wat with the rationing. It was so interesing I watched another episode right away.
I think I will be watching the rest of season one and they moving on to season too my Hulu plus.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Trollied, Downton Abbey, Blechley Circle, Mr. Selfridge. You might also like A Place to Call Home which is actually Australian.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Love Keeping up Appearances but not really suitable for children. I also love Fawlty Towers but that one is also questionable for children. Most of the humor would probably go over their heads except for maybe Monkey Girl.

LOVE British humor! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I am hooked on Red Dwarf right now. It probably isn't appropriate for younger viewers though. They do cuss in it. But, it is funny... And, I picked up a new cuss word. **teehee**

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Rosemary and Thyme
Ripper Street
Doc Martin
just to name a few.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you loved Dr. Who, you should watch Torchwood. It's a spinoff...not sure how great it is for kids, though. There are some, ahem, adult situations, lol. (sex scenes)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts