Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broth Flavoured Dog Cookies

Recipe Description
Taste a lot like oyster crackers. :) (You can use chicken broth if you prefer.)​
Preparation Steps:
Preheat oven to 325F.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
1/2 hour + baking time​
Ingredients:
3 c. white flour
3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. chicken or beef broth
4 T. softened butter
2 eggs, separated
2 T. milk, separated​
Serves:
24 cookies​
Directions:
Combine flour, cornmeal, broth, butter, one egg, and 1 T. milk. Knead until blended, approximately 3 minutes.

Roll out on lightly floured cutting board to 1/4" thickness. Stamp out with cookie cutter. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet.

Beat remaining egg and milk together. Brush over top of biscuits.

Bake at 325F for 35 minutes.

(I used a teeny little 1" bone cutter, so my baking time was shorter.)

Recipe can be doubled.​

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you using the low sodium broth?

·
Registered
772 Posts
How long will these biscuits last?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am going to try these. For my dogs I mean. I have 6 dogs so treats can get expensive.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used organic beef broth for the test batch - not low sodium, but you could just as easily use that. Since these are for treats, not his regular diet, I wasn't as concerned.

The biscuits last as long as most hard dry biscuits last - basically forever. :) I bake them until they are actually crunchy and can be snapped into pieces.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm wondering if substituting the water drained from tuna fish cans would create a tasty treat for kitties? Ours is not as picky as some and he loves tuna better than anything else.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great idea! I'd love to hear the results, if you try it!

Made some more tonight, and I used low-sodium organic chicken broth, just to try it. They still taste like oyster crackers to me. ;)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Okay...you had me going. I was all 'gung ho' until I got to the part about 'roll out'..........:yikes: I CAN'T DO roll out.........:eek:---is the dough real sticky. I mean if it is anywhere near like pie dough I will have it everywhere when I am done.

So........texture? If I end up in a mad FRENZY tossing it everywhere, can I blame you? I HATE ROLL OUT.....:laugh:

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it is not a sticky dough at all. It is very elastic, though, so you have to muscle it a bit.

If you don't want to roll out and cut, you COULD just pinch off bits and roll them into balls, flatten, and bake those (more like traditional pb cookies). The roll out is just to use a cookie cutter.

·
4,028 Posts
Neat, do you think the dough would go thru a cookie press instead of rolling it out?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
No, it is not a sticky dough at all. It is very elastic, though, so you have to muscle it a bit.

If you don't want to roll out and cut, you COULD just pinch off bits and roll them into balls, flatten, and bake those (more like traditional pb cookies). The roll out is just to use a cookie cutter.
Wow - that saved me. I don't have cookie cutters anyway - so roll in a ball/flatten it is!

I have been in RE-training mode so this will help. I will make them VERY TINY. Part of the re-training is HAND FEEDING too.......UGH - sure takes some xtra time! But I am getting RE-ESTABLISHED as the alpha-bitch so that should help!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neat, do you think the dough would go thru a cookie press instead of rolling it out?
I suspect it might be difficult to press it out of a cookie press. I've done butter cookies that way, and that dough is MUCH softer than this stuff. It is much more similar to bread dough than cookie dough, so even if you COULD force it through a press, I doubt it would hold its shape.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow - that saved me. I don't have cookie cutters anyway - so roll in a ball/flatten it is!

I have been in RE-training mode so this will help. I will make them VERY TINY. Part of the re-training is HAND FEEDING too.......UGH - sure takes some xtra time! But I am getting RE-ESTABLISHED as the alpha-bitch so that should help!!
Some of our working dogs (at my agency) are trained that way. They never see a bowl of kibble.

Just keep in mind that these are treats, and shouldn't make up a large percentage of the dog's diet.

If you want little pieces that they will go nuts over, I found that cooked beef liver makes their brains spin in ecstasy. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Just keep in mind that these are treats, and shouldn't make up a large percentage of the dog's diet.

If you want little pieces that they will go nuts over, I found that cooked beef liver makes their brains spin in ecstasy. :)
They only get treats when they go in their kennel. They BOTH have been on a diet since Oct. and doing very well. Don't want to mess with that.

And thanks for the BL tip.......I already have one who's brain is spinning anyway........not sure it is 'in ecstasy' but definitely spinning!! That is the reason for the 'heavy training' sessions that 'we' are having.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I will have to try that beef liver.

·
4,028 Posts
I suspect it might be difficult to press it out of a cookie press. I've done butter cookies that way, and that dough is MUCH softer than this stuff. It is much more similar to bread dough than cookie dough, so even if you COULD force it through a press, I doubt it would hold its shape.
Thanks, i don't think i'll try is as it doesn't sound worth the struggle to do then clean the cookie press. hehehe

·
Registered
772 Posts
I made these last week and the dogs seem to like them.
Thanks so much for the recipe it really helped me out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was asking because around the dogs think that they should only get treats, and dh feeds them treats all day long when there are treats in the house. I used to buy those 5 lb of mini bones and two weeks later they are gone. I only have 3 little dogs the biggest is 17.5 lbs. So treats are far and few nowadays. But I feed them peanut butter cookies when I make them. and I don't make them too often. I will make these for them for christmas. Thank you, Madhen for posting the recipe.

eta: the missing E.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts