Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see one of these so if there is please let me know- But I am challenging myself for the entire month of May to brown bag it every day during the week. I will post what I am eating also. It starts May 1st, 2015

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In my opinion, this is one of the easiest way to save money! You can do this.

Reactions: Russ and KimZ

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I agree. If you eat out often, you'll see a massive savings pretty quickly. For the past 15 years, I've eaten out at work (that I pay for) about 3 times a year. Since I can at home, I have a few jars of soup at work in case I don't bring enough.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You can do this! We brown bag it everyday. I promise you, if you eat your own food for awhile when you get take out or what have you, it's just not that good anymore! It's actually kind of a bummer sometimes! Haha!

Reactions: KimZ

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I've been brown bagging it for so long I hate wasting my time driving somewhere to go to lunch.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I try to cook at least three servings for every supper. That way, we eat two and Husby takes the third for lunch the next day.

I sometimes make full batches of freezable meals and then split them into individual servings for lunches, for the days when there aren't any leftovers. I make lasagna, goulash, fried rice, and a two or three other favorites, and I also freeze leftovers if for some reason we don't want to eat them for supper the next night. That way, he has a selection to choose from for his lunches. Those meals are also handy when we've been working on something or gone somewhere and don't want to or don't have time to make supper. We can just pull something from the freezer and microwave it. It's saved us many times from buying a restaurant meal or getting take-out.

I make full batches of Weight Watchers meals for myself for lunches, usually soups in the winter time, and freeze those in individual, pre-portioned servings. Probably cheaper than buying frozen WW foods and for sure better tasting and a lot less salt.

All the freezer stuff gets labeled, and the WW meals get a notation of the Points Plus value for each serving.

Several years ago, I dumped all the cracked, stained, crappy odds and ends of dishes Husby used for his lunches and bought two sets of assorted-size Pyrex with plastic lids. It's one of the best things I've ever done for the kitchen and for portable lunches. Instead of a mess that took up half of a five-foot buffet, I now have neatly stackable dishes that take up one two-foot wall cabinet shelf, including all the lids so they're easy to find. Husby now has nice dishes that are microwave safe and won't stain. They will break, yes, but they're pretty heavy so take a beating. We've only broken one in probably about eight years. I bought a rectangular padded cloth bag that has multiple pockets on the outside and he carries his lunch and everything else he needs in that, very handy. I also use the glass dishes at home at times.

We have an assortment of small Tupperware dishes that work well for small amounts of foods, like pickles or salad dressings.

We pick up close-out single servings of yogurt and freeze those to have with lunches. Freezing yogurt works best with the lower fat versions.

We've saved a ton of money vs. Husby going somewhere to buy lunch, and who wants to leave the building when it's a million degrees below zero anyway?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm so excited ... While I starting organizing my cabinets (that's gonna take some time) I found lots of expired items that I wouldn't dare eat but I ran across a can of crushed tomatoes that expired this month so I made a pot of tomato soup ... Which will accompany either a sandwich or crackers for my brown bag lunch challenge that starts this week! I am also making fat free blueberry muffins for a snack for me and my daughter for our lunches.. I am so excited to start saving cash here yeah

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day one of Brown Bag Challenge,,,, I have HM Tomato soup and a small slice of Pizza left over from My Daughters Sleepover this weekend. - So that's $5 in my pocket for today!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 2

Tomato soup with come pasta thrown in ... snack is some Moo's ( they are like goldfish but organic I had a Buy 1 get one coupon )

Reactions: Russ and NikoSan999

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would participate in this challenge, but sadly its not challenging for me. I brown bag every day. Because I work in chemistry, going out for take out or getting someone to deliver is pretty much impossible. And its not that hard to say no to my colleagues, buying a house is a great excuse for that ;).

Reactions: KimZ and NikoSan999

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to make it all last week and brown bagged it YEAH! so today is

Tuna Salad ( mayo and pickle) on crackers - with a diet pepsi even though I should be drinking it :/ but I really want to lose 40 pounds this year!

Reactions: NikoSan999
1 - 11 of 11 Posts