Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i found some brown rice in 1 lb bags... it is in a heavy plastic sealed bag....if i put these in the freezer how long will they last in the freezer and how long after i take them out once opened in a bag....

Today i went shopping and never realized that i didn't pay attention to expiration dates... now i do...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's great finding a good bargain...

You'll get the longest storage time - up to 5 years - if you vacuum seal the rice and store it at 0°F or colder, rather than leaving it in the bags it was purchased in. Another option is to fill a plastic storage container to the very brim and store the rice in the freezer in that. The full container will help prevent oxygen in the container.

Freezing only slows down the oils from going rancid, it doesn't STOP it. So it's best to store food vacuum-sealed - without oxygen - and this will prevent the oxidation of the oils in the freezer.

When you take it out of the freezer, store it in refrigerator for use. It should be good for 3-6 months.

The problem is - you don't have any idea how long it's already been stored at room temperature and how much it's already been exposed to heat, light, and air.

Looks like there will be some great rice dishes at your house!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts