Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved into this home in March, 2010. When we changed the utilities over to our name, we were told that the previous owners' "Budget Plan" utility bill was set @ $280/month. They would not put us an a Budget Plan until we had lived in the house for 12 months, and they re-figure the budgets in June.

The utilities include - water, sewer, trash and electric (all-electric house). The previous owners were a married couple with an infant and a pre-schooler. We are a married couple with two teens.

So I just added up the utility bills for the past 12 months, divided by 12 - and it comes to only $215!!! I am shocked.

In our old (and I do mean OLD) house was 500 square feet larger, and had LP heat. The combined utilities which I'm figuring will now budget at $215, ran us $400+ at our old place.

Sweeeeeeet!!!
`

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'm not sure how your utility co works, but ours divides by 11 for whatever reason. I had a large credit at the end of last year and a credit this month of $38 and they tried to raise my budget amount by $11. I called and had to talk to a supv, but he lowered it back to what it was this year.

Your bill is EXTREMELY cheap considering everything is electric. I have always heard electric is very expensive.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was worried about all electric when we bought it. We did install a timer on our water heater when we moved in, but we keep the temp comfortably warm in winter and cool enough to sleep well in summer - so it's not like we deprive ourselves.

·
Registered
649 Posts
budget utility bill

My husband and I have the flourescent bulbs in place of all bulbs.We have lots of windows, once it gets light we do not need any lights on except when we go into the bathroom ( no window) and no matter what I do the electric bill is $160 a month. My gas bill is cheaper than my electric.:nrant: I asked the Aep and they asked me if I heated by electric I said no and that my gas bill the whole winter long was $0 that changed the subject. My last gas bill a week ago was for $8.10.

If I go on a budget in West virginia they go by usage, it would cost me $125 a month, my bill should only be around $70. Any suggestions/:yucky:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you say they go by useage, then why would your bill be so high if your useage is only $70? Can you call and discuss it with them? See above for what I did and I had to talk to a supv to get anything done.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand how if you heat with gas your bill is 0 - $8? Am I missing something?

·
Banned
96 Posts
When we first moved in 6 years ago our budget was a frugal $80 a month. The utility company wanted to know if anyone lived at the address lol! 8 months later they insisted they come out and put a new meter in on a Brand New House - (they didn't believe me when I told them I am VERY frugal) A year later the budget was still $80 a month. Then in Jan 2010 our utility in our State was deregulated - our bill went up just about 100% to $156 a month. Now this past Jan it went up again to $240 a month....this is just insane. I don't know how much more I can cut down on as we don't use that much electricity just like we've never used that much.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Are you using that or your electricty kwh has gone up that much? That is awful. How do these companies get away with this?
Our kwh has remained the same. Our State Deregulated the utility companies back in January 2010 (thank you Ed Rendell - that piece of work he was!!!!) and this is what they've been getting away with since!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I tried and they changed the subject and then asked me if there was anything more they could do for me. They suggested I talk to my landlord.

·
Registered
649 Posts
because they can. We live above a bar, when we had our electric turned off last year our refrig, washer and outside light still worked. I think that the bar downstairs is hooked up to some of our electric and vice versa.

I cannot really say anything to my landlord (boss) because I pay no rent. My husband is getting his SSD and we will be moving back to Ohio.

·
Registered
649 Posts
How my bill went from $0 to $8 is because in October when we applied to foodstamps and a medicaid card they said we were eligible for HEAP assistance they just paid our gas bill all winter long, when we go our bill this month it was for $8.10 and our furnace has been off for weeks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
our budget plan is divided by 11 months...because the 12th month (August) is the catch up month whee if there's an overage you have to pay it out...maybe yours is like that?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have both electric and natural gas on the budget plan.
Ours is calculated by averaging the current bill and the previous 11 months. Each month, the oldest one is dropped from the calculation.
The amounts I have to pay fluctuate, but stay relatively level.
My monthly gas bill ranges from $30-40 (the "actual" bill is $12-75)
My electric is $80-115 (the "actual" bill is $30-200+)
I wouldn't have a problem paying the actual gas bill, but getting hit with a $200+ electric bill in the summer would freak me out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
our electric bill runs anywhere from $30 to $200 a month (summer more expensive)

Our gas bill is on a budget plan and I pay $111 a month. Sure in the summer it sucks because the average use is around $10.00 but in the winter I don't have to freeze!! (Before the budget plan our gas bill would be upwards of $250.00 a month.

Our trash collection is in with our taxes and our water is billed quarterly around $50.00 a month

·
Registered
217 Posts
when I moved back to my hometown, I went on budget billing I live in a duplex so I kept tabs on my water meter & electric. I discovered that my neighbors meter was in my side of the power box so I called and reported it shortly after I moved in. the manager blew me off (so when I had a $140 bill) I called again this was 3 yrs later so for that time I paid my neighbors bill and she paid mine. they finally sent someone out to verify that the meter with my acct number turned off the power to her apt (her dd called also that's probably the only reason they showed up). Of course when I asked 'when are you cutting me a check? I got 'oh we don't do that' you'll get a credit' which p'd me off, I didn't have to pay a bill for 11 mths, my neighbor had to repay what she'd been under charged. when my budget plan went up to $84 a mth I went off it several mths back and only pay what we use now.... last mth it was $42, I figured out that for me it was cheaper to pay as I use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts