Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've made my own cream soup mix, hot chocolate mix, chili mix, etc. I had fallen off the wagon so to speak for a while on some of this stuff, but I'm back now. I buy what spices I can at Sam's (company furnishes our Sam's cards) and buy the rest at WM. Recently I went on Amazon for tumeric, chicken bouillon etc because Sam's doesn't sell tumeric, their bouillon is in cubes or paste and at WM less than an ounce of McCormick's tumeric is 3.98. Granted I don't use that much of it, but it's really good for you, gives food a healthy yellow color, so I was on a quest. I got a 7 oz. bag of tumeric for 6.99 with free shipping; chicken broth powder, 8 oz. for 7.88 with free shipping. I hope the chicken powder tastes good (it tasted the same dry). One of the packages wasn't sealed good, but I dumped the box over a large bowl & got it all in a ziploc bag.

What does everyone else do for their mix ingredients/spices?

Chicken Broth Powder, 8 oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Turmeric Powder (Curcumin) 7oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

You'll probably have to copy and paste the links above into your browser to get it to work.

Turmeric Powder (Curcumin) 7oz
by Spicy World
4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (8 customer reviews) | Like 1360783423 false 1 4 4 3 (4)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $6.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. Details
Deal Price:

In Stock.

Chicken Broth Powder, 8 oz.
by Barry Farm
2.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews) | Like 1360783576 false 1 2 2 1 (2)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $7.88 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. Details
Deal Price:

Package of 8-ounces
No added MSG
Great for enhancing or making soup stocks
Substitute for chicken bouillon cubes and easier to use

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I've only recently been eyeing the costs of spices. But Whole Foods has a bulk spice area that's pretty reasonable. Although their selection is sparse.

I would most certainly buy online if I didn't have to pay so much for shipping. Seems that the item is $4 and shipping is $8 . (not on what you just gave as a link - but in general). So, I've been sticking to the brick and mortar to get items if I don't have enough for free shipping.

I don't have a Sams club membership, or any other membership for that matter - so I don't know what the spices are there. Otherwise, I'm relagated to the local grocer or dollar store. Or growing my own things like basil and oregano.
sigh.

I'll follow the thread, because I'm curious mysel

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We buy at a whole foods co-op in bulk. They have an excellent selection and prices are quite reasonable for most herbs and spices compared to buying at the grocery store. We also get yeast, gluten, sesame seeds, and stuff like that there.

Not all whole foods are a bargain, so you have to shop around.

We don't have a whole foods store in town. The one we shop at is fifty miles away, so we usually hit it when we're going to or through that town for some other reason, usually camping.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FN - I didn't have to pay for shipping as my total order was a bit over $25, so it was free shipping. I try really hard to only buy items that qualify for free shipping. I have a problem with shipping "& handling". Duh, handling is an expense to the product, not additional paid to someone else like postage. After a good bit of research, tumeric appears to be so good for you that I plan to add it to rice dishes, soups, devilled eggs, homemade rice-a-roni mix, homemade cream soup mix, potato salad,etc., etc. We don't have a Whole Foods, Aldi's, Costco within 100 miles. We do have a Sam's about 70miles away in a town that I have to go to from time to time, so I stock up while there.

·
19,119 Posts
Great thread. When I get back to cooking and see what I need, I am sure that I will be adding spices to all the HBA products that I get shipped for free from AMZN. I too shall be following along here!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
What does everyone else do for their mix ingredients/spices?
I ADMIT IT..........I am a spice ADDICT!!! Love spices and seldom use the 'plain' salt and pepper........but I am also somewhat of a spice SNOB!!!
If I am going to use spices........I want what I 'think' is the good stuff............this does not include much from the dollar store or big lots.......

I have ordered some from Puritan's Pride..........and not impressed.........I buy some at Costco---Cinnamon mainly and have tried a few and really like a couple that I bought at Trader Joe's...........

I would NOT rec. a company called Faeries...........think it is......have ordered, prices reasonable..........but not AT ALL impressed with their spices.

I do use a couple of stores here that have bulk and that is okay since I keep old spice jars to put the 'bagged stuff' in when I get home.

One I like............and they have some "reasonable' prices and FUN STUFF to try is..........

http://www.penzeys.com/..............after a certain amt. they have free shipping. They have a pretty large selection of the 'hot' stuff.......peppers. Haven't tried too much of that.

If you have a Trader Joe's..............I like their 'flower pepper'....but it is different. One that I REALLY like is their "21 Seasoning Salute"........am on my third bottle since I discovered it.

Though I said that I don't buy the 'dry spices' at Big Lots.........I do always look for the odd, fun thing, to try..........and have found some good stuff there. Recently found a 'liquid applewood smoke' that is pretty good.........and I love the 'lemon sunflower oil' that I found. But anyone that knows that store knows that if you find something you like you had best get back there SOON to get more............the lemon sunflower oil is no longer there but I zoomed back and got two more bottles before it was gone...........also one with basil.

·
4,028 Posts
When Greebo and I go to Pitts for the family visit we stop by Penzies Spice Spice at Penzeys Spices View Catalog and I stock up on whole spices that I need and a few blends that I want. Their real life catalog is wonderful to browse through and there are recipes from home cooks throughout the booklet. Their online catalog is 'meh' since it doesn't have pictures. lol

I will occasionally buy a bulk container of things from BJ's and they last a good while but I am learning to appreciate the freshness of grinding my own blends.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
When Greebo and I go to Pitts for the family visit we stop by Penzies Spice Spice at Penzeys Spices View Catalog and I stock up on whole spices that I need and a few blends that I want. Their real life catalog is wonderful to browse through
:laugh: We must have been posting at the same time............and I agree with their catalog...........I can't toss it..........there are still recipes that I want to try!!!

I LOVE that it suggests things to try the spices on...........when it is something that I have never heard of.........BUT...........it can suck me in every time!! They also list all the ingredients that are in their mixes..........which I like........in case I would want to try my own mixing! FUN STUFF!!!

:laugh: I have NO TROUBLE making their $30 free shipping limit............usually have to go back and cut the order down!! That darn Penzey's and Costco 'spice aisle' and 'jam aisle' can really blow any budget that I might have had!!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could really put the hurt on my credit card with that Penzy's catalog. It's awesome. I've never used real saffron personally; anyone?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you order from Amazon, you could probably set this up as a "subscribe and save", and save even more. Just cancel the subscribe part once your order ships.

·
4,028 Posts
My girlfriend and I have started to split some of the spices as I don't need that many peppercorns. I'm also enjoying some of the curry blends as dry rubs on meat.

FrugalFranny, you must have beat me by mere seconds. lol

Reactions: frugalfranny

·
4,028 Posts
There is one in Md, about 1.5 hrs away, one in Philly about 2 hrs away, but I go to Pitts 1-2 times a year so that's the one I shop at. LOL

All in one trip. kwim? lol

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
WOw! thanks for the information on Penzey's. what a great site!! The prices are reasonable.

I absolutely love the recipes.

I downloaded the catalog. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
WOw! thanks for the information on Penzey's. The prices are reasonable.
I think they are pretty reasonable too..............there is NO WAY I could be even trusted in one of their stores!!! The catalog gives me time to "come to my senses!!"...........well, sort of.......:laugh:

I have never ordered their extracts but have used this site.............Cook's Pure Vanilla Extracts, Organic & Natural Flavors And I like their stuff, they have a 'decent' selection of flavors.

The only reason I used Faeries was that I wanted a huckleberry..........and c/n find it. Here is their site: faerie's finest - extracts and liquid flavors .........BUT.........I WOULD NOT rec. any of their salts........they are too large on the grinding and the flavor isn't even........or great...........if you want big chunks of 'grit' in your food.....then do their salts. I have ordered their extracts...........and they are "okay"................wished Penzeys had a bigger selection.

If you like cinnamon............try some from Penzeys---(or Costco)............you will never go back to dollar store, McCormick, or Big Lots again!! YUM!

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
There is one in Md, about 1.5 hrs away, one in Philly about 2 hrs away, but I go to Pitts 1-2 times a year so that's the one I shop at. LOL

All in one trip. kwim? lol
Oh........I am soooooo jealous...........that store would be so fun to go to...:ack:.............I got my latest order this week..........they threw in 2 freebies!!! :tay: Got the one with the coupon........cumin........but they put in another.........and a new catalog!! :thud:

happydog.........I don't think I will even look at those................that would be just too dangerous for me!!! :laugh:

There is a store here that has flavored olive oil........and flavored vinegar...........THAT YOU CAN SAMPLE!!! I try not to go very often. You can even have them mix whatever you want.............which I did last time I went in...........:thud: so much fun..........and what a budget blower!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Checked it..........some of their prices aren't too bad but they have some pretty big amts.

Have learned from Penzey's that 4 oz. of a spice can be a huge bag of it! I probably have enough dill seed to last until I die!! :laugh:

Not a spice.... but I am currently looking from some cedar oil...............and they didn't have that. Will have to explore more........

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I just diecovered there's a Penzy's in Arlington, MA.. only about 30 min from me.
Woohoo!!
I will go.. I started a list of spices I need to update/recharge/refill

Sooooo excited!

Reactions: Trishagirl
1 - 20 of 40 Posts