Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you done this and if so, did it really save you much money? I have Directv and Verizon phone and internet....just wondering if it is a good deal or more of a hassle.... I have no long distance on my landline, just use the cells for long distance...

Thanks,
Sheri

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have wireless internet and that isnt available if i bundle. Plus i have no home phone. I could have bundled but i only have embarq available and bundled price was $125 for basic package. I ahve the higher package on my satellite so then it would have gone up to $150. I just turned off my home phone and went all cell usage. then went wireless!

Reactions: lovestoread

·
Registered
539 Posts
We bundled everything to Verizon. We pay 99/month for phone, internet (and the internet is unbelievably fast) and satelite tv. The satelite pic is really good, too. For us, we saved about 80 dollars a month, plus we're writing out two less bills per month which is nice. We make no long distance calls, so we don't see an increase in our bill for that. It works for us very well so far. I'd suggest calling all of your utility providers periodically and just asking if there are any ways to lower your bill. They are always coming out with new "plans" for phone and cable that are less expensive if they are fitting to your needs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We have Earthlink internet, which works well, for 14.95 a month. Vonage digital phone service (must use high speed internet) for $25 a month, and then Direct TV. A bundle service is not offered in our area so we mixed and matched to get the best deals. So far, we've been happy with all three services.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We have bundled services here - but it is very difficult to see if there really is a savings - I have compared both the cable company and the phone companies plans- as well as Verizons- I see little difference in their packages moneywise. I also got rid of my landline - cell makes more sense as I am always on the go.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As a former phone company employee, let me tell you 2 things:

1) Most of the time, the bundle really isn't any savings. The bundles only include basic TV packages, and a lot of people have more than just the basic, which will drive the price up. If you take all your bills and add them up and compare with what the bundle package would be WITH TAXES AND SURCHARGES, there's not much savings to be had.

2) 99% of these bundle companies advertise that their package is only $99 per month...the truth is that it's only an introductory price. After 6 months it can shoot up as much as $50 per month.

So, when you inquire about getting a bundle:

1) Make sure you ask for a price quote with taxes and surcharges included.

2) Make sure you ask whether the price is permanent or introductory.

·
Registered
979 Posts
We looked at the bundles. We ended up only doing a "partial bundle". We have phone and DSL together but Directv seperate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We just recently bundled phone, cable and Internet with Comcast. We have uber high-speed Internet, HD cable with the movie channels (about 500 channels), and digital phone that provides unlimited local and long-distance calls. This eliminated two bills (LD provider and local phone-Verizon.) I estimated that we're saving about $500 a year with the bundle, which runs about $170 a month. We're still spending more than I like, but the HDTV and movie channels allow us to watch our favorite movies and shows at home, which is a savings.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had our services bundled with Charter Communications (a Michigan company) for a long time.

However, there wasn't much savings over having it separately, because as mentioned above, many people don't have just the basic cable or dial-up internet - they have a higher-grade cable package and high-speed internet. (In fact, I don't think Charter even offers dial-up anymore.)

Also, as mentioned in another post, the $99 a month was an introductory rate - in 3 months it went up to $129, then incrementally increased every other month after that as Charter kept inching up their prices. $2 here, $4 there - by the time a year passed, we were paying more than $140 for our 3 services. If I 'unbundled' them and eliminated the home phone service, I was told I would end up paying the same amount for just the two services. I think that's how they snag people - they charge outlandish rates for the individual services to get you to bundle the services together, then they slowly increase the bundled price over time. (Their customer service stinks too - if you call, you end up talking to someone in a call center overseas who reads a script to you.)

I now live out in the sticks, so Charter isn't available out here (no skin off my nose!), but we have our phone/cable/high speed internet bundled with our local phone company, for $129 a month. It's not the $99 advertised by the big companies, but I know each and every one of the people in the office here, if I need help or have a problem, they come running and recently, took care of a problem that was MY computer's fault-not theirs-and didn't charge me a dime. And my rate has remained the same for the past 7 months and they tell me there are no rate increases planned anytime soon.

I'd rather pay a little higher monthly price for my bundled services and get great customer service than deal with a big company who doesn't care about their customers.

:soapbox:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I used to have DirecTV and verizon bundled together and was paying about $130 a month with the TV, phone and internet. I was getting frustrated with them because it seemed like prices just kept rising, so I checked into what cable was offering (Time Warner for me) and I got all 3 services for $102 for the first year and only $112 for the second year. No contract and I can cancle at any time. We did it since it will save us money and we have the exact same services.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Right now I am saving about $30 by not bundling. Grant it I still have dial-up, and really basic phone service, use cell for long distance. My one concern, other than price, is if the system goes down for whatever reason then whatever is bundled won't work.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have tried to bundle through our cable company but they don't offer phone service in our area, I do have internet and a land line, (no long distant) use cell phone for that, have tv with dish have had it for 2 almost 3 years and not rate increases (yes) had a rate increase every 3 months with cable, I call dish, and AT&t to see if there is a better rate but so far I have best rate, Will check into cell phone bundle with AT&T when contract is up but we will see if it is cheaper over the long run. Just wish I could lower my electic and water bill but no matter how much I turn off water and lights they just seem to go up

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have bundled cable, landline phone, and Internet (DSL+). I save at least $50.00 a month from the ATT phone company and that is the flat rate ... LD would be even more .. the phone has unlimited LD, all the little pluses and we get Stars and Encore on the cable plus all the music. The Internet is the fastest and most places it works pretty well ... Frugal Forum seems to have issues a lot of the time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have internet and cable through cable company and no land line. Which works out cheaper for me. WE use our cells for all our phone calls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts