Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
It's about time the GOP thought twice before striking another blow to the working class citizen in this country...... As is it the law does little enough to protect American workers !!!!!!!
It really burns my butt that Bush thought he could get away with that and call it economic recovery !!!!! How would that ever spark another new job when we'd be working around the clock... My dh took a job years ago with a company called Lanther Dist. in this state, after working 70 plus hour weeks, he got his check and it had no overtime... They explained they were exempt..... We called the Il. dept of labor and they said it was true many companies had been granted exemptions simply because they had filed and asked for it, they have to state that paying overtime would cause them financial hardship... They don't even have to tell new employees of the exemption when they are hired....... They offered comp time that they never could fulfill because they didn't have the staffing.... many men had worked there for years and not received it.... and upon separating from the company the employer no longer owes the comp time......... This is our state legislature hard at work for the people.... They should force members of congress and the senate to work as laborers during house recess !!!!!!!!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
captclearance said:
They should force members of congress and the senate to work as laborers during house recess !!!!!!!!!
I would love to see that,I bet they would change their tune about ot in no time! I didn't know companies could claim exemption from overtime. :eek: :mad: If they can't afford to pay their employees a fair wage, they shouldn't be in business!

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I was so relieved to see this not pass in the paper yesterday....
My dh does get ot each week, its what buys the food for our house...His company owners can't spend what comes in fast enough (one recarpeted her home 4x's in 1yr) so they rarely give out raises.. that about takes a revolt..and partner to partner fight just for employes to get...but yet yearly the cost of living goes up..food,gas,clothes,power,not to even mention the yearly increases in health insurance...our cost for ins is 106.00/wk 52 wks a year.
We would not be able to survive and have me stay at home with out it...heck we barely make it as it is now with the ot...
I'd also love to see our elected officials have to live like most of the rest of this country...working sick or not, to feed there families....better yet the federal min wage is still 5.25 (I think) let them live off that for a year...then lets see how they manage.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You are right Karla, but the fed min. wage is $5.15 an hour...... Shame isn't it ??????

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Just for the record I was totally against it too. But I have to say as a small business owner paying overtime sometimes completely takes the profit out of a business. I don't know what the answer is because I see both sides as I've been (and am) on each side of the fence. Just because you own a business doesn't mean you make lots of money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts