Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15# Butterball turkey that I purchased frozen in November 2011. It has been been in my freezer since then. Would you cook it?

From what I have read the school of thought is not so much on safety as quality. I have read up to year for quality so I am thinking I should go for it, but would love to hear what others think.

Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom on the subject.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
As long as their is no freezer burn, it is fine. If there is freezer burn, I'd cook it then just cut off that part.

·
2,688 Posts
Cook it and eat it.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is in the original packaging. I have done a bit more reading and I think ladytoysdream is right.....I think it is going to be just fine. I guess I am cooking a turkey next Saturday.

Reactions: Frugal Nurse

·
2,688 Posts
Let it thaw in your refig for several days.
Sounds like it will be just fine to eat :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
:hungry: Can we come over?

I'd cook it. and enjoy it too!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Absolutely! In fact, the one I just cooked was probably at least that old.

Don't forget to make ups some tasty broth from the carcass.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely have the thawing, roasting and soup afterwards down....but I have never had a turkey in the freezer before. I always just buy one right before Thanksgiving. There was such a good deal on them back in 2011 that I wound up buying an extra one for the first time in my life. If memory serves I paid .58 per pound which is a steal for Butterball.

I picked up breaded chicken strips today from Zaycon and all of a sudden...I need that freezer space! I am glad this happened though, or I suspect I would have eventually thrown the turkey away, and that is a terrible waste.

Edited to add: Thanks for the input ladies!

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I would cook it. Awhile ago I had one in my freezer that was about that old and it was delicious.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Its fine to eat & enjoy as long as there's no freezers burn.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have decided to do something I have never done before with this bird. I am going to cook it in my pressure cooker/canner and then turn it into turkey soup. I am starting the process after work this afternoon and should have jars of soup ready for the pantry tomorrow.

zakity I hope you like the tenders. I find them just a touch salty but would buy them again. Just so you are in the know...chicken breast ordering is supposed to start in a few weeks.

I am looking forward to buying a 40# box and canning it all. I split a box with a friend last time and canned 3/4 of mine and that stuff is the most amazing chicken I have ever had! This time a whole box....and canning all of it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Friday night I cooked my 15# turkey in my pressure cooker/canner and in 45 minutes it was fork tender and falling off the bone while being incredibly moist.

Yesterday I canned 13 pints of turkey veggies soup which included celery, carrots, onion and green beans from my garden last year Turkey Soup.jpg . Today I will be making a turkey pot pie casserole topped with biscuits.

Cooking the bird this way also made the most amazing stock. So...mission complete and I am a happy camper!!

Now I am off to can a few jars of pineapple that needs to have something done with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts