Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buttercream Frosting

Recipe Description
This is THE BEST cake frosting ever! When I make a cake with it, everyone assumes the cake came from a bakery!​
Preparation Steps:
No prep...just start mixin!​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
10 minutes​
Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter
2 cups of shortening
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tsp salt​
Serves:
enough to do a doubled 9x13 cake (top & sides)​
Directions:
Mix butter, shortening and salt for 5 minutes on low. Add vanilla and mix in half of the powdered sugar. Once that is mixed in well, add the rest of the sugar. If it is too stiff to spread, you can add a few drops of milk at a time to get the consistency right!​

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you so much, I love bakery wedding cakes because of the frosting. Can't wait to try this.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
That is the recipe I use too ( I omit the salt though) and add a bit ( 2 to 4 table spoons) of milk.

My friend who makes wedding cakes for pay uses this recipe too.

I made this recipe milk free ( when son was allergic to milk) by using water in place of the milk. Still very yummy and worked just as well.

If you want to make this recipe a chocolate butter cream

add 6 oz melted unsweetened chocolate and 2 tablespoon more milk

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this, I was going to do a google search for that recipe. One question though, if you don't mind, can I substitute margarine for the butter? TIA

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this, I was going to do a google search for that recipe. One question though, if you don't mind, can I substitute margarine for the butter? TIA
When I made a milk free version for my son I used margarine instead of butter. It seems to me to change the taste and consistency a bit but is still super yummy in my opinion.

I also made a milk free version by using shortening in place of the butter ( so basically double the shortening) This was suggested by a cake decorator to make a completely brilliant white icing.

Reactions: Dixie

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you can use margarine. I actually only used this recipe as is once. After that, I usually haven't added the salt and I usually don't add any milk, as I seem to get the right consistency!

Reactions: Dixie

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks so much for the recipe. I need a good one because I really don't like using the store bought frosting because of the stuff they add to it. I can't wait to try it.:thanx:

Monner

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If the cake is going to be sitting out like at a wedding use the water instead of the milk.

I have made it using shortening, butter and margarine and the flavour and colour changes slightly but it still really good. For a completely white icing you will need the shortening though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts