Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dollar General has their packs of seeds 4/1.00. Has anyone used them? Is there any way for me to tell if they are "good" seeds?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hubby says only problem is that fewer may germinate... go ahead and buy them and plant them all, you can always thin them out if you have too many.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DD loves to plant a garden each year and I always get her seeds from there. We have never had a problem with them.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Next week 2/24-3/1 Walgreens will have a coupon for 10/1.00 seed packets!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
yeah, seeds are pretty much seeds.
it's a crap shoot if ya buy 'em at dollar stores to walmart to a greenhouse.
some will grow, some won't.

main thing i've noticed about cheaper store seeds, there are fewer in the packets.

so determine by that if it's worth the cost.

at least, that's how it is here. :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Next week 2/24-3/1 Walgreens will have a coupon for 10/1.00 seed packets!!
Thanks for posting this, I was just thinking about it.

I bought these peat pods to start my seeds, I'm only wanting about 12 plants all together. Should I just buy the seeds and put several in each pod in hopes that one of them will germinate?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll be going to Walgreens next week. Thanks:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I buy the 10/$1 seeds from Walgreens and the Dollar stores every year and have never had any problems. If if some don't grow you are only out 10 cents and not $2 or more. Plus a lot of the flowers will re seed themselves for the next year -works great for me!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I never had any problems either. Just check the expiration date on the packs. I got mine at the local Trader Horn for .19

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got some seeds at Family Dollar 5/$1, so I was happy. I ordered "good" pea and asparagus seeds from Parks, though. And I have a container blueberry bush coming. yum!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd buy them but Im going to Wal-Greens.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
TBS727 - answer

Should I just buy the seeds and put several in each pod in hopes that one of them will germinate?
Yes. You can thin them out later if you need to. I'd just split up the seeds according to the number of pots. Incidentally, cardboard egg cartons and potting soil do well for starting seeds also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.