Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have the opportunity to buy half a beef at $1.75 lb hanging weight. That includes wrapping. Is that a good price? It has been so long since we have bought a whole or half beef. It seems like a good price to me, but I'm not sure what they mean by hanging weight. Is that before any of the butchering is done?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I believe so. It could either mean that or how much they charge per lb even with the butchering. Like for instance, if it's a 1200lb cow @ 1.75 per lb hanging weight and you end up with 3/4 of that amount after butchering, the left over price is what they charge to cut the cow up.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yes, hanging weight is before butchering. Its how much the cow weighs when it hangs on the hook in the cold locker (it includes bones, organs, etc...).

But, if that price includes butchering and wrapping I think its a decent price. I don't remember what we paid the last time we got beef.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes it is a pretty good price, not the best but with the economy n feed stocks etc gone up as they have this year i would go for it:) Consider what you get out of a cow when slaughtered, then figger out what the price in a store would be for all those cuts of meat . You will fare much better in the end by doing it this way and get all your meats for about 2 bux a pound in the end.

Last fall local they were running 1.65 a pound cut n wrapped here so the additional ten cents is not a substantial increase all things considered

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
See if your guy includes giving you the organs and bones. Both cook up well.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
When I was butchering hanging weight meant gutted weight, no organs. Sold by the quarter, half or whole.

It has been almost 20 years but we used to sell 1/2 cow for 1.49/lb and I'm not sure of the going price now but I myself have been considering it.

·
4,028 Posts
So how much freezer room would I need to store half of a cow? I have considered buying bulk like this but can't imagine where or how I would store it.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
You might be able to get a half it in a larger side by side freezer with some creativity and nothing else in there.
I would suggest a hind or front quarter first and see how it fits.

I'll try to remember what you get in a hind quarter to give you an idea.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So how much freezer room would I need to store half of a cow? I have considered buying bulk like this but can't imagine where or how I would store it.
call the butcher or seller and ask what the hanging weight was.If you are only buying half then divide it by 2. The size of the cow butchered will depend on what age they slaughter it at. It is common in these parts to butcher at 700 pounds giving about 400 pound for the entire animal.

The last steer we butchered weighed about 1300 pounds shipped and we ended with 670 pounds of meat. It all fit in an average chest type freezer along with the seasons frozen veggies. It was full but definitely doable.

·
4,028 Posts
Thank you. I'll be seeing what the budget will bring for us to see if it is the direction we want to go. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts