1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I have seen recipes and businesses selling them, but I can't say I'd do it. I'm a freak over taking chances with food. It's not just a food safety issue with me...it's also the potential for broken glass in my oven or worse...as I am bringing it out of the oven.
Obviously, tons of folks have had great success doing it. I just can't say I would try it.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I heard back from a friend who is a master preserver in her state. Her answer was NOT to do it. Here is what she sent me:

Got an official reply from our Home Extension agent, Lori Scharmer here in Minot. Here is her statement.

"It is not considered safe to can cakes or quick breads. The acidity, moisture and ingreients used in quick breads can all play a role in the growth of bacteria, molds and yeast. The temperatures reached in the baking process are not high enough to ensure that all bacteria is killed. "

Hope this helps someone besides me!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Hmmm... the bacteria factor would worry me. I'd hate to go to all that work only to have them become unedible by the time they reached their intended person.

:topic: Somewhere I have a recipe for a microwave cake in a coffee mug. You could mail ziplocks of the dry ingredients with a cheap coffee mug. I think they just add water, or maybe an egg.

If you want the recipe, LMK. I'd go find it right now, but I have a hungry baby drinking her bottle in my lap at the moment! ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
This thread reminds me of one of my stupidest culinary moments ever!

My family members are all huge fans of Irish Soda Bread, so when I was a senior in college I decided that my little brother, stationed overseas in Germany, deserved to have some. I baked it up and thought that well, being a bachelor and not having a car and this and that, gosh, I should help him out and butter it for him ahead of time!

Can you believe I did that? Ready to graduate from college, and I send my brother moldy bread!

~Mary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts