Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the applesauce thread a poster noticed that the mott's applesauce cups had gone from 4oz to 3.5oz

the last time i bought canned tuna at wal-mart, i happened to look at the unit price and although wal-mart's "can" was cheaper, the name brand was less per ounce because wal-mart now only puts 5oz in theirs

i also noticed this with dawn dish soap the last time i purchased it. there was a statement on the front about "look at our new size!"

well, i looked. and instead of it being MORE than it used to be, it was actually less soap in the bottle for the same price as before

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's why it's important to figure unit price. Those little changes can quickly cut into your food budget.

Kroger peanut butter was on sale recently. The smaller 18-oz. size was several cents cheaper - per ounce - than the large size. Most people automatically think the larger size would be the bigger bargain.

The bottom line is to always check those unit prices. That's what creating and using a Price Book is all about. Changes in package sizing is another reason not to be brand loyal.

http://organizedhome.com/make-price-book-save-money

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I agree. Use a price book to pay less.

As for the calculation for anyone that hasn't calculated it before:
Stuffing (one example) is sold in different size boxes. Let’s say the 14-ounce box is $2.60, a 20-ounce box is $3.50 and 2-pound (32-ounce) box is $5. The unit price is the price per ounce. To figure the unit price, divide the price by the number of units. So you have $2.60/14, $3.50/20 and $5.00/32 (ounces). Now simply compare the unit price per package and see which costs less. You’ll be surprised how often the larger package isn’t always the best buy per unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The worst example I have seen lately is the downsizing of the Ortega Taco Sauce Bottle. It used to be 11 oz., then 10.5 now 8oz. I now make my own taco sauce.

·
Registered
29 Posts
in the applesauce thread a poster noticed that the mott's applesauce cups had gone from 4oz to 3.5oz

the last time i bought canned tuna at wal-mart, i happened to look at the unit price and although wal-mart's "can" was cheaper, the name brand was less per ounce because wal-mart now only puts 5oz in theirs

i also noticed this with dawn dish soap the last time i purchased it. there was a statement on the front about "look at our new size!"

well, i looked. and instead of it being MORE than it used to be, it was actually less soap in the bottle for the same price as before
They actually advertised having less soap? Wow...someone needs a new job LOL!

My dad taught me to look at the price per unit when I was really little. Now, I tend to look at the price per unit before I look at the actual price of an item. And thank goodness for camera phones...when I can't read the unit price on the sticker because it's too high (I'm short) I take out my phone and take a picture of the tag to see the price per unit LOL. It's easier than figuring it up myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts