Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area (San Jose area to be exact). Anyone else out there?
Beth

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'm in So Cal 50 miles from LA and 20 minutes from San Bernardino.... Fontana area
Fern

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fern!

My closest friend moved to Upland about 2.5 years ago, you're not far from her. My dd13 is going to Disneyland the first weekend of March for a cheer competition, so my friend is going to meet us and we get to spend the whole day together!

How's the weather been down by you? It's been very very cold up here, sort of unusual to have it last so long. And I heard about snow on the Grapevine a few days ago!

Beth

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hiya Beth!

I'm a 3 hour drive north of you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Starsapphire, you must not be too far from me. I am in Sonoma County.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not to far at all, Stella. My dad lives in Sonoma :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. I love vacationing in the Carmel area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone! I was going to ask where everyone loves to go the most (in state) but I see Autumn beat me to it! LOL

As for me, I love going to the snow. We usually go to Arnold/Bear Valley area every winter and rent a house (hard to call them "cabins", they're nicer than the house we live in! lol). Maybe because I grew up in Utah and Idaho and lived in Colorado for a short while, but I miss snow!

The other place I love is San Diego! I think if I was going to live anywhere else in California, that is where I would choose.

For short weekend getaways, we usually go to Monterey and go to the aquarium. I love the path that goes along the beach too. Funniest thing, last time we were there, we had walked about 2 miles on the path towards Pacific Grove. All of a sudden our next-door neighbor and his kids rode up to us on their bikes! LOL We had no idea they'd also gone for the weekend.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I love Monterey. The Sea Aquarium is awesome. I love the restaurant there. I also love visiting Sequoia. I'm with you, San Diego is also awesome.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I am also in So Cal! We love Cambria/San Simeon/Monterey (love the aquarium too!!) area and tend to end up there for vacations. We also love San Diego :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone else getting any rain? It's raining here in the Bay Area. We haven't had rain in ages!

I read Dave Ramsey's book this week. I decided to follow his advice and took money out of savings (dh is against doing this altho he agrees with why pay interest charges on a cc when it is higher than interest earnings in savings) to pay off our cc. We also had some money from our medical flex account. So now, savings is a little low. All we have left now is our car loan. I am hoping to get that paid off before ds1 goes to college in 18 months!

Do you gals follow any particular program for budgeting/debt reduction/etc?
Beth

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey everyone...I'm not from California, but I was wondering what your living costs are like? How much is electricity and food and rent, on average? And other expenses like that.... I applied for some jobs out there, and while it's very likely I won't get a job offer, I was still wondering what the costs are like.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am also in So Cal! We love Cambria/San Simeon/Monterey (love the aquarium too!!) area and tend to end up there for vacations. We also love San Diego
I live in San Diego I was born in Van Nuys; I grew up in Agoura Hills.
I am a CA native:choco:

I kinda grew up in Cambria. My parents bought a lot in ParkHill there on their honeymoon and built a house and I actually helped build it too!

Maybe that is why I am obsessed or possesed with buying property.
It is in my blood.:animated:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Mindy,
I live about an hour south of San Francisco, in Silicon Valley.

Rent on a 2 bedroom apt in this area runs around $1200/month.

Electricity for our home (2 levels, 2500 sq ft) is ave $300 month, highest in Dec-Jan and Jul-Aug.

Gasoline is higher in California because of stricter rules, so right now it's $2.49/gal for reg unleaded, altho it is inching down slightly (dh paid $2.41/gal yesterday).

Median home price is around $650,000 for this area, that will likely get you a 3 bd/2 ba, 1500 sq ft.

Food would depend on how many you buy for, etc. Milk at Safeway (store brand) is about $4.35 for 2 gals, organic milk is around $6/gal.

Having said that, the central valley areas (Fresno, Modesto, etc.) and much of southern Ca (outlying areas of LA, etc) tend to be less expensive than here where I am. I don't really have any info on any areas north of SF since I don't know anyone living up there.

Good luck!
Beth

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm in Cali. the Antelope Valley to be exact. I love Ventura and Port Hueneme to get away. Its close so easy for weekends

1 - 20 of 40 Posts