Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm testing the water to see if there are enough people interested to put this together. This is a test, if enough people want to play I will do sign-ups in a week or so.

We will make and trade winter holiday ornaments made of felt, here are some ideas I pulled off the web:

Appliqued Felt Ornament - Heart | Christmas Ornaments | Shaker Workshops

My Holiday Ornament Plans Terri’s Notebook

Bugs and Fishes by Lupin: Felt Ornament How-To # 2: Baubles

FREEBIES FOR CRAFTERS: Felt Christmas Ornaments

3 Felt Snowman Ornaments by FeltLikeStitchin on Etsy

Felt Christmas Ornaments - Holiday Craft Source

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/116/312123347_956957385b.jpg

felt christmas ornaments | PicsDigger

Erratic Needle: ornament

Craftideas.info - Sew Felt Snowmen for Christmas

FELT ORNAMENTS - a gallery on Flickr

I feel that even beginner sewers can handle this, so don't be shy.

This would be a centralized exchange. Each person who participates would send me their ornaments for trade, plus a SASE, and I will swap around the ornaments and return them. This way, people who drop out don't become a hindrance. I hope you folks can trust me not to run off with all your felt goodies.

The number of ornaments you'd need to make would depend on how many people sign up, but I am thinking it would go in groups of six. You could send in 6, 12, 18 or 24 ornaments depending on how participatory you wanted to get.

Sound like fun?

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
19,119 Posts
I think that this is a great idea!! Two Christmas ornament exchanges going at once!! Yup, yup, works for me - sign me up please!! Of course we trust you!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds fun, I'd like to join in

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully we can interest a few more people. Is it too early in the season, do you think?

·
19,119 Posts
Nope, definitely not too early!! Need to check out my suply of felt and see what I am going to make!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts

·
19,119 Posts
don't need to sew - can glue felt!! ;)

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PLEASE, please don't think you can't do this if you don't sew! As I pointed out above, some of these take very little or no stitching at all. You'll be surprised at how easy this is.

I think we're up to 4. I'd like to get 6 before we begin....

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm in I can do these while sitting at my DD's gym :hat:

·
19,119 Posts
We'll make 6 - no problem!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought myself some felt, Its something different ive wanted to do, I shall make myself some for the tree. I might havea homemade decorated tree this year

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sounds like a fun project!

However, please could I ask you all to respect the designs of those of us who sell our work and not copy our Christmas ornaments.

There are so many great free tutorials out there to inspire you, I'm sure you can all create something amazing!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My DD (10) has decided she's going to help me =) Since I am NOT a real crafty person - But I'm trying:toothy:

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YAY! We have 6 people! I will go ahead and organize this.

If you can, I suggest people use wool felt for their ornaments. It's a little more expensive than the craft felt, but you can still buy 1/8 pieces (more than enough for many ornaments) for about $1. It has (IMO) a nicer texture and I think it is easier to sew than the acrylic stuff. Also, it does not pill when handled. However, feel free to use what you already have in your stash, too.

I posted a list of links to ideas and inspiration at the beginning of this thread. You can also google "felt ornaments" for additional ideas. Some web pages have tutorials or templates you can use for free.

I'd like people to make at least 8 ornaments, because we may get some last minute sign ups. They do not all have to be identical. Please tack or pin a slip of paper with your screen name onto the back of the ornament so we know who it came from.

Today is Columbus Day, Oct 11. You have until Veteran's Day, Nov 11 to get your ornaments done. Then you will mail them to me in one envelope with a SASE. I want to be able to get them sorted and back to you before Thanksgiving. I will PM you all my mailing address in early Nov.

Any questions, go ahead and ask.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.