Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I called in 2 hits to our debt today, $1600 of the CC debt GONE ($600 & $1000) AND we funded our March envelopes FULLY thanks to both a decent commission check and selling more stuff on craigslist.

So nice too cuz that reduces our credit cards from 4 to 2 altho the last 2 are larger it was really nice to see 2 monthly balances GONE.

Also got some good news on taxes, REFUND!
I think you can guess where that is going once it comes in :)

Awesome day just had to share, still determined to keep kicking this debt till it's just a bad memory.

Bill :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Way to Go

I love hearing others good news. It makes me hopeful that I will have some to share soon.

Reactions: MrMom

·
Registered
469 Posts
So fabulous! Love your intensity to get that gone from your life. Congratulations on your successes so far!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way to Go

I love hearing others good news. It makes me hopeful that I will have some to share soon.
It wasn't easy to sit down and get this stuff started, heck going into month 2 here we are still adding to the budget and making tweeks, but there IS this weird peace of mind knowing the whole process is in motion and well that there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

I honestly don't know why it took so long for us to do all this, I tend to think of myself as pretty savy and smart in many areas yet financially obviously not so savy or smart in the past.

Took that whole job loss stuff then almost 9 months of not working to realize ummm we were fools to not have managed things better to be ready for something like that, let me tell ya that alone is a huge inspiration daily for us to stick to this.

I know it may seem like man they got it made, a commission funded them for a whole month and paid off $1600 in debt etc, but honestly half dec all of jan and feb there was nothing and budget was negative by well over a grand, so even with selling stuff and putting this plan into motion there was (and still is at times) stress involved not having the full funds for something we need, but knowing all the numbers and such and doing the envelopes and coming here reading others stories/signatures have all been very helpful !!!

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great job!! :clap:

·
Registered
955 Posts
What wonderful progress you are making and what an awesome attitude you have. I'm so glad you are sharing your journey with us. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep up the great work!! :clap: You guys are doing awesome! Doesn't it feel great to have your priorities in order?! :tay:
You know --- I find myself smiling A LOT more lately, and just having this sense of calm knowing things are in motion and we have a plan, at the end of the day a few times a week we sit down with the laptop on the couch and review about 5 to 10 mins of what we forgot in the budget, where we are on envelopes goals etc and it just makes the rest of the night more relaxed.

This is very cheesy i know but even though we haven't achieved it yet I have certainly found a very real sense of "Financial Peace" and so has my wife, ironically we make about 1/3 what we did just 2 yrs ago yet have a better hold on things $ wise now than ever...

Thanks for the encouragement, hope to be a success story and scream we are debt free within the next 2 yrs (including the house!) so we can really "live like no one else!"

Bill

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No, not cheesy at all, I totally get it! How cool to make less and still find financial peace, so very important in these times. I can't wait for you to make that call, too!! :D You let us know when so we will be sure to listen, we're cheering you on all the way there! :cheer4:

·
27,948 Posts
Bill, your future is looking so awesome. Love your attitude! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It wasn't easy to sit down and get this stuff started, heck going into month 2 here we are still adding to the budget and making tweeks, but there IS this weird peace of mind knowing the whole process is in motion and well that there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

I honestly don't know why it took so long for us to do all this, I tend to think of myself as pretty savy and smart in many areas yet financially obviously not so savy or smart in the past.

Took that whole job loss stuff then almost 9 months of not working to realize ummm we were fools to not have managed things better to be ready for something like that, let me tell ya that alone is a huge inspiration daily for us to stick to this.

I know it may seem like man they got it made, a commission funded them for a whole month and paid off $1600 in debt etc, but honestly half dec all of jan and feb there was nothing and budget was negative by well over a grand, so even with selling stuff and putting this plan into motion there was (and still is at times) stress involved not having the full funds for something we need, but knowing all the numbers and such and doing the envelopes and coming here reading others stories/signatures have all been very helpful !!!

We are having to take it slow and steady. So far we have only been able to throw snowflakes at the debt.

Looking forward to the day we pay off the first one and make a snowball that we can roll into another payment and bring down the next debt faster. This should happen soon.

It will take us several years to get out of debt (not including the house that will take even longer)

Some days I'm optimistic and some days I'm pessimistic.

Slow and steady I tell myself will get it done for us.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We are having to take it slow and steady. So far we have only been able to throw snowflakes at the debt.

Looking forward to the day we pay off the first one and make a snowball that we can roll into another payment and bring down the next debt faster. This should happen soon.

It will take us several years to get out of debt (not including the house that will take even longer)

Some days I'm optimistic and some days I'm pessimistic.

Slow and steady I tell myself will get it done for us.
We had to start very slowly, ourselves. We started Dave Ramsey in May of 2008, and we are finally getting our debts paid off through lots of perseverance and patience. You can do it! Even if it does take longer for you than some others. :)

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Taxes came in and we whopped another $4740 to our debt!

So since starting this Dave Ramsey program in early Feb 2011, now into mid March 2011 (just shy of 2 months) by going freaking crazy selling stuff and putting ALL cash in hand into debt re-payment, we have our emergency fund in place, have paid back nearly $8 grand in debt closing and paying off 3 credit cards!

We have 1 credit card left & 1 car loan then just the house and we are done with debt...

Feels like a BLIZZARD coming in with all the snowballs and snowflakes happening here in Michigan.

Really tryin to hit the goal of debt free by 11/11/11 at least on the car and last credit card (16.5K as I write this).

OMG OMG OMG I can't tell enough people in my life that I love about how important and life changing things can be if you get focused on this whole debt repayment thing, I can't wait to scream we are debt free!

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is very cheesy i know but even though we haven't achieved it yet I have certainly found a very real sense of "Financial Peace" and so has my wife, ironically we make about 1/3 what we did just 2 yrs ago yet have a better hold on things $ wise now than ever...

Bill
Reminds me of the saying ..."Control your money or it will control you"... You're doing great, keep it up!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bill,

It is always a pleasure to read your posts!

Keep up the great work -- and keep us up-to-date.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paid down another 2 grand today on our total debit, since Feb 2011 when we started and went BALLISTIC on doing everything we can, putting everything we can into this and working that envelope system/budget, we are now close to 10 grand paid off, 14 grand more and we are out of debt in terms of the credit cards and car loans.

$25K left on the house but once that other stuff is hammered out it's gonna AVALANCHE on that mortgage payment baby!!!!!!!!!

Also recently started "couponing" we saved $20 off $100 in groceries last week (our first week of using coupons)
and this week saved $82.97 on $240 worth of groceries, not so bad for just cutting and using those coupons!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Wow Bill, no wonder you and your wife are going ballistic!! I would too!! It is so wonderful reading yours posts and seeing how fast you are knocking down that debt. Way to go!! :clap:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Sounds like you're going to have the rest knocked out in no time. Way to go there! The house mortgage will probably be a thing of the past too before long.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.