Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a follow up to our homemade bread baking challenge, I'd like you to take one step further....shaping.

Instead of making an ordinary bread pan shaped loaf, I want you to use the same recipe and make something different. I'll leave the shape up to you. It could be buns, knots, whatever, you decide. Here is a site to give you a few ideas:
http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/library/shaping_dough.html

If you missed our challenge, you can see what it's all about here:
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62413 Everyone is invited to join this challenge.

If you can take a photo, please do so and post it to this thread. If not, please describe what you did and how it turned out. You may add seeds, or any other garnish you wish to use.

Happy shaping, girls!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok, I'm in :) I've only made bread (mostly buns) a few times from scratch. But this seems easy :)

When should be do this by?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, good point, Tara. I forgot to give the time period. We'll do it this week and over this coming weekend. That should give everyone time to organise themselves.

Who else is in?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have questions.

First about seeds. I LOVE sesame seeds. When do add them? I'm guessing right after shaping. I tried adding them right before baking, but they don't stick.

Secondly about shaping, do you think this same recipe would taste right for hamburger/hotdog buns? Or have the right texture?

And lastly, I have information. :) Looking at the link Rhonda provided and the shape called "Mock braid." I've done that shape with refrigerated crescent roll dough and filled the braid with a chicken, brocolli, cheese, & green pepper mixture.

That's a terrific link Rhonda. If the trial early this week goes well, I'll do the cloverleaf rolls for our Thanksgiving dinner. :D As a matter of fact, I think the girls could learn to shape the Flower (Knot) Rolls and the Cloverleaf.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valerie, yes, the seeds go on last. I generally brush my bread with plain tap water or milk and then sprinkle the seeds on. They stick better.

That recipe would be fine for buns.

Thanks for the tip about filling the crescent rolls. It sounds like a nourishing and delicious roll.

I think the girls would do well with the shaping. You can divide it up so they both have their own piece of dough. :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I'm in :)

Can we extend the date a bit though? Thursday is Thanksgiving here, and we are super busy in preparation for that.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Originally posted by Michelle
I'm in :)

Can we extend the date a bit though? Thursday is Thanksgiving here, and we are super busy in preparation for that.

OOOHH!!  Yeah!  Could we do that?????

:jug:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Thanks Rhonda! I'd love to make homemade rolls for Thanksgiving, but I don't know if I'll have the time. I should be able to do it by 12/4 though :)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
This sounds like fun! Count me in too! I really enjoyed the challenge last week, so I can't wait to see how this one progresses.

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
I was going to say I couldn't do this until the end of next week but I now read you've extended it so that my long way of saying, I'm in too :D

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
I decided to surprise dh and make Pulla. I don't have cardamom and it's too expensive for me to buy but my dmil said I could leave it out. Dh was raised on Pulla and he usually only gets it if his mom comes to visit. He'll be surprised and delighted.

Thanks for a new challenge Rhonda :)

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
Rhonda, Pulla is a Finnish yeast coffee bread.

This is what my cookbook says about it:

"Do not expect pulla to be light and fluffy; it is a moist rich coffee bread. It is served without butter and is a delight when it is hot. The Finnish housewife usually bakes on Saturday so there will be fresh pulla for Sunday morning coffee.

A straight braid is the standard form for pulla, but the braided pulla dough is often shaped into a wreath for special occasions such as name days, birthdays, anniversaries, or other honor celebrations."

Here's a link to see a picture and the recipe looks very similar to mine.

http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/FinnishPulla.asp

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think I will be doing my bread tomorrow. I don't have a digital cam but I can take a halfway decent pic with my webcam lol

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol, great Tara. I look forward to seeing it.

Tina, that pulla looks delicious. I'm sure my DH would love it. He's asked me to bake a stollen for christmas so I might do the pulla after that. Thanks for the link. That's a great site that I hadn't seen before. :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm going to have to push this back to next week as well. My mom wants to bring rolls for Thanksgiving, so I don't really need to bake before Saturday or so.

Rhonda, do you have a guess at how many rolls or buns or whatever your bread dough recipe would make? I'm thinking that it might be enough dough that I could make a few dinner rolls and four sandwich rolls (long buns). Does that seem reasonable?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts