Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to Panera with a group of knitters last night. I had eaten beforehand so I wouldn't be tempted by their delectable goodies, but I thought that I would just order a peppermint hot cocoa.

Then while standing in line, I realized that they now have calories posted on their menu board.

630 calories for peppermint hot chocolate!!!! That's only 9 calories less than the lasagna I made last night!

I know some states (cities?) require these be posted and others do so on their own accord.

Have you noticed this at all? If so, does it help curb your appetite?

·
Registered
265 Posts
So the real question is, did you order that hot chocolate? :)

I noticed this same thing in Starbucks this morning (using my xmas gift card, yay!). I believe it's now federally mandated for restaurants with a certain number of locations (chains). It will definitely be interesting to see if it changes people's ordering habits.

Kara

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have not noticed it, yet. But, I also have not been out to eat in a few weeks. I am sure it would definitely make me think twice before ordering something though.

Great! Now I am craving Panera's bread bowl with broccoli soup.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Haven't read a menu yet.

Did this part of the health care bill go through or get cut?

Health care bill requires calories on menus at chain restaurants - USATODAY.com

I found my answer "Tucked away on page 455 of the massive health care reform act signed into law by President Obama in early 2010, is a provision requiring that restaurant chains with more than 20 units post calorie counts on print, display, and drive thru menus (law also requires the same for vending machines). Restaurants have til March of 2011 to comply." http://www.livnaked.com/will-posting-calories-on-menu-boards-make-a-difference/

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The only place I've noticed it is Jack in the Box and it definitely does make me think more about what I order. I can't even buy those chocolatey/milky/coffee drinks any more because of how much sugar and fat they have. I might as well have a burger if I'm going to splurge like that.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I have not noticed it, yet. But, I also have not been out to eat in a few weeks. I am sure it would definitely make me think twice before ordering something though.

Great! Now I am craving Panera's bread bowl with broccoli soup.
I so understand

Question is would you still want one or at least order one if you knew it would be 790 calories.

It would make me think twice.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Question is would you still want one or at least order one if you knew it would be 790 calories.
I would still order soup in the bread bowl. Since I carry my calorie book around with me all of the time anyway I am normally aware of my caloric intake (have to keep up with my carb intake so I can make sure I enter the right amounts into my insulin pump). But, I doubt I would order something like a desert or drink.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I noticed it a while back. It sort of ticks me off. If I eat out, I don't want to know how many calories are in it. I want to enjoy myself. It makes me want to eat out even less than I do now.

·
27,948 Posts
Haven't read a menu yet.
Did this part of the health care bill go through or get cut?

Health care bill requires calories on menus at chain restaurants - USATODAY.com

I found my answer "Tucked away on page 455 of the massive health care reform act signed into law by President Obama in early 2010, is a provision requiring that restaurant chains with more than 20 units post calorie counts on print, display, and drive thru menus (law also requires the same for vending machines). Restaurants have til March of 2011 to comply." Will posting calories on menu boards make a difference? * LIVNAKED
You probably read more of the bill than our "leaders" who signed it did.
Bee-boo bee-boo food has calories, often times many. I know without them telling me what has alot of calories and what doesn't. Not a fan of more regulation and mandatory whatever. I don't mind them having the signs, I mind them having to have the signs.

I eat out very rarely and the signs would just make me roll my eyes & order what I want anyways.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Actually, I appreciated it. I am trying very hard to lose weight and last night we ended up at Taco Bell for dinner and I found a burrito with chicken with 280 calories so that is what I ordered and it was good.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I posed this question at dinner last night. Would calories posted next to menu items affect what you ordered?

Hubby said he would probably not change his mind due to calorie being posted when he eats out it is for the experience and fun of it and he will eat what he wants.

Buddy my teenage son said it might make a difference like if he was having a hard time deciding between to menu items.

Little Miss didn't really understand the question so hard no real answer.

I think it would affect what I chose.

Reactions: Neeley

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I count carbs, not calories, so it wouldn't matter to me. But I think it's a helpful practice. Some places also post the fat grams per serving.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think it would help me to make more informed choices about what I am eating. It would make me think twice about ordering one thing if there is something else on the menu that is lower in calories. Also, I do weight watchers, so it is helpful in tracking my points.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like that places will be posting calories, because it will help me stay on track with WW. I think it will really make me think about my food choices.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Seattle started doing that a year or so ago...Cheesecake Factory was when I first noticed it...YOWSER!!! Don't look at their calorie counts.... granted their dishes are so big that you can't eat a whole dinner at once...but my goodness...very very high in calories!!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would pay attention because I began dieting again. I never did understand why anyone would pay over $4 for a cup of hot cocoa or flavored coffee. I don't even buy hot cocoa mix. When I went hot chocolate, I mix skim milk with chocolate milk powder (like Nestles that comes in a big round container), microwave it, and use generic light whipped cream from a can to top it off. For fancy coffee, I do the same but add hot coffee (decaf in my case) before the light whip cream. I not only save money but calories for something that - imo - tastes great! I use a liquid stevia to add sweetness instead of sugar.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think it is a great idea!I don't like involuntary blows to my waistline!Nice to know that Cheesecake Factory's Bistro Shrimp Pasta has 2,727 calories(78 g of saturated fat) so I can dodge it.I would have been ashamed to post that on a restaurant wall if I was not made to . Goliath Casket Company will be less than thrilled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.