Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are avid tent campers and tend to go every other weekend in the summer. This year however we will have a new friend. Our new 1 1/2 year old pup. Im a bit concerned to say the least. Mostly that we will forget something and have to drive back down the mountain to town where everything costs an arm and a leg. We know that the tent will be big enough because we have a 3 room camping cabin tent. I know he will need food, and water, his leash, some kind of dog run when we dont want to be holding a leash. Im so nervous about how he will react to other campers, and to fishing, and to sleeping at night in the tent. Does anyone have any tips for camping with our four legged baby..... i just want to make sure we dont get caught up a creek without a paddle....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I travel with 3 dogs a lot. Be sure to bring water from home. Also if your dog sleeps in a crate at home, I would bring a crate. They have soft side crates which are much easier to bring along and go up really quickly. Is your dog friendly at home with other dogs and people, if so, I really wouldn't worry too much. If possible, go to a state park close to your house and try it for one night to see how it goes. Have fun!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Make sure you put Frontline on him for any ticks he might pick up tromping through the woods. And maybe towels to dry him off in case he gets wet?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I had totally forgot about frontline so i will put that on my list. We usually carry 17 gallons of water for a 3 day weekend so we should be okay there. Hes a bit skittish around strangers but not mean more like he hides behind me and has far as other animals he tries to herd the bunny rabbits in the backyard and hes fine with our cats, hes our only pup but the previous owners had another dog that he did fine with. I think i will try the one that is only a few hours from home first ( no place closer that wont be 115 degrees during the day), then we will take him further later. I would love for him to go on our hike ins with us. Its usually a good 2-5 miles to the camp sites so i think we will wait a while for that, since the tent is smaller for those trips as well. And there is the little river so i will be sure to bring him some towels.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Make sure you have a first aid kit, with items that could be used for your dog. Example - little band-aids probably wouldn't be of any help but lots of gauze squares and medical tape might work. A few toys, maybe something to chew on. And remember not to leave him on the run when you're not directly supervising - he could get twisted up, or a wild animal or another dog could come up and attack him.

I hope you have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We take our dog camping w/ us all the time. Here's to good memories w/ you and your pooch! If you're thinking of hiking-in to campsites, I would def suggest bringing two big garbage bags. We slip them over our sleeping bags so Bear can sleep in our backpacking tent w/out ruining our sleeping bags. You might want to bring the garbage bags just in case your dog gets scared sleeping in a different compartment of the tent.

If we're camping at a site, we bring his fave stuffed animal and tennis balls. Just like humans, they need to keep occupied during down times so I'll bring Busy Bones or Jumbones for him to knaw on.

Honestly, Bear loves it because he gets to spend so much time with us.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was actually thinking of setting up the tent in our acreage here for a "dry run" sleep in the tent, live like we are camping, just right at home so he can experience it first hand in someplace he feels safe. Luckily though our tent has 3 different "rooms" you can open them all up to be one big room. So think he would be most comfortable with that. Hes yet to find a toy or bone he likes lol. But im hopeful that he will find some comfort item. He does like his "blankie" an old flannel sheet that hes actually taken off of his bed and carried around the house. He has his own "bed" which can fit when we go camping quite easily.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 1.5 year old lab, Ollie who we bring camping. We have a trailer and last summer was his first time out. We tried to keep everything the same for him and did not let him in our trailer..we brought his crate and he slept in the back of our truck. The first night it took a while for him to get used to it but then he realized it was "his space" and was fine.

Bring all his favorite toys and then some. Lot of bones, chew toys, etc. Also we brought a tie out, so he could be on his leash and wander around in a small area. Also, until your dog is comfortable, I would not leave your site or him alone...ours barked every time we walked to the bathroom!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts