Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever tried to reuse coffee grounds? I've been thinking about it for a few days....could you just maybe add a fresh scoop and be able to get a whole pot?

·
27,948 Posts
Yes you can, but purists will shudder. :ack: If you want to give it a try, why not? Wouldn't want the grounds sitting around long wet, they'll get moldy & that's not good.;)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I'd try it, and if you don't like the results you'll only be out the water and a little bit of coffee grounds. :) I thonk it all depends on your taste for it. MIL used to run twice, because it's how her mother did it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've got a 4 cup Mr Coffee. I will sometimes use two cups worth of water and one scoop of coffee to make one mug full for breakfast ... throw another two cups worth of water and one scoop of coffee in for lunch.

Hasn't killed me. Of course, a purist wouldn't use a Mr Coffee :)

Lee

·
19,119 Posts
I've done it - first we make 8 cups of coffee using four scoops, then I'll add one more scoop and make 4 cups. For me it only works if I do it withing a few hours of the original pot - other than that it is only brown water. Good luck!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use 3 scoops of coffee to 12 cups and its perfect... (that's 1/2 the amount I was taught to use!)
would I lay the grounds out to dry before I use them if I wanted to save them for the next day? maybe its not worth it for me since I already stretch it?
Is there anythign else to do with them besides composting?

·
2,688 Posts
We start with 2 scoops of coffee for the first pot.
Each pot after that one, we add one more scoop coffee and a full pot of water. Keep going all day :)
End of day, it goes into a pan for out to the garden area.
Start with a new filter and fresh coffee next morning.

This year, I took a coffee pot to the family reunion for one of my dishes to pass. I kept making coffee and filling the cafe I took along. End of day at home, I had a oops moment. I had made the coffee like I do at home for us. Like I was on auto pilot. No one questioned me, and I never gave it a thought myself. Wonder if I can get away with it next summer :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yes, but I think it tastes terrible. My MIL used to add an extra scoop to the used grounds, but she has no taste and drank a few pots of coffee a day.

I wouldn't do it, just like I wouldn't water down milk to get it to last longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Coffee grounds are something pretty awesome for hydrangeas, and quite a good thing to compost. I once accidentally threw some grounds out with veggies scraps for my chickens and they went crazy for it. I felt terrible :nerv2:, but they were A OK.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I do it all the time.......have done it for years (probably four).........my snobby coffee friends have never complained or said anything.

First pot made with normal amt..... then add 1/2 to 1/2 plus one scoop of what the first pot was and make it.......

Then after the 'twofer'.........the grounds go outside into a flower garden somewhere (depending on weather how far I venture!! :laugh) the filter gets ripped up a couple times and tossed on compost. (sometimes the grounds go on compost too)

I would say....give it a try and see if you like it.........a $ saver if you can do it......otherwise nothing great lost.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I don't drink coffee but my girlfriend reuses her coffee grinds.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have tried it and it was not good. More like brown water but I like many here am a bit of a coffee snob. It really is the one thing in my kitchen that my husband and I both feel strongly about and we easily go through a pound a week but he says cut everything else in the grocery budget before the 8.00 a week we spend on coffee so that is what I do. I have indeed taken something else out of the cart to get the coffee we like and stay on budget.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
My dad use to do that, yuck, is all I can say. It tasted horrible, I could always tell if he made the coffee, but he drank it all the time.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
<~~ I've done it with hubby's coffee too. Also with tea bags. Works well enough to get the caffine fix you're looking for :)

Also, I read that you can use coffee grounds as a facial scrub.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all the responses...
In reading them, I've decided it's probably not worth it for me...
As it is I use 1/2 of the amount most people use with good results...
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.