Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a recipe, or more accurately, a "method" for making soup from leftover veggies, and maybe a bit of rice or barley, and what ever kind of meat you might have leftover......can anyone tell me how they do theirs'?

TIA

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I start out with a broth that matches whatever type of meat I'm using. If no meat than whatever I have on hand. I use both canned broth and cubes. Big pot goes on stove or large crockpot comes out. I always make big batches it lasts a week.
Into broth goes leftover meats and bones. Depending on how much meat I've got depends on how small I dice it up. If I've got alot I leave it chunky if not I dice it small. DH likes to taste meat in his soups. Doesn't matter how big a piece as long as he can taste it. Now if I'm working with bones like ham bone or a bird carcass in goes the whole thing. I cook it on medium to low til everything falls off bone and carcass falls apart. Then I fish out large bones and feed them to animals (no lectures please). Now if I'm dealing with my stash of frozen veggies I just pour the whole mess in. I have a tupperwrare container in my freezer that I nightly add leftover veggies to. I rinse butter off them before throwing them in so my soup doesn't get greasy. If I'm working with that tupperware I just pour it in. If I'm working with fresh stuff I wash chop and add. Slow simmer keeps thing from getting mushy and burning.
Now I taste and add accooding to my taste. That may mean some garlic, some chopped onion a splash of worcestershire, oyster sauce, ketcup, hot sauce. Depends on what I've got in the refrig, what the taste lacks (salty, spicy,?) Now if I'm making ham and bean soup I added my beans (I use canned)and any leftover mashed potoates I've got, if none I'll add a handful of dried potato flakes to thicken.
I don't add celery to my soups as my husband doesn't like cooked celery.
For veggie soups I add my potatoes in chuncks along with any other root veggies I'm using up. If there is leftover rice (white, yellow or brown) in it goes. Leftover tomato products also go into to. I do alot by taste and what I've got on hand. Leftover spagetti, beef a roni and hambuger based meals become (Garbage Chili) the name came from my mom. Because instead of the garbage everything went into the chili. Including cheeses.
Hope this helps.
Sorry I don't have a cup by cup type recipe, its an experience thing. Give it a whirl and you'll get the experenice.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the lack of a recipe deoesn;t bother me in the slightest. I do a homade chicken and noodle soup that is more of a method instead of a recipe. I just needed a few tips on the "method." Thanks

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I keep the leftover veggies and meat (cut up into bite sized pieces) in a large tupperware container in the freezer. When it is full I add a large can of crushed tomatoes or a box of broth (liquid) depending on my mood. If there isn't enough liquid, then I just add a little water. I normally don't season it as the herbs and salt used in the original dish are usually enough for us.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I do it the same way except this is how I mix it up - if I have leftover chicken I will make it as everyone else does but I will use pork broth or beef broth - to contrast the flavours and give it 'body'. Its just what I have on hand - just like how I use chicken gravy on everything LOL. I used to save the broth and freeze into cubes - usually its pork from a roast so its pork cubes that go into my chicken soup for added depth.

Try it, you just might like it!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I just made soup last night and this is what I used.

Leftover pot roast that I cube and the gravy that was leftover
carrots- sliced thin
onions-chopped
celery- chopped
peas - I always use any vegetable that I have or leftover vegetables are even better
2 cans of chicken stock (it's what I had)
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
2 beef bouillon cubes because I used the chicken stock, normally if I had beef I wouldn't have added this
garlic
salt and pepper
bay leaf
oregano
basil

I cooked the onion, celery, garlic and carrots in butter until they were softened.
I then added the rest of the ingredients, except the peas and simmered for an hour. I threw in the peas the last 5 minutes or so.

I used up a lot of carrots that needed to go so I did not add any starches.
If I do add a starch I just throw some in while it is simmering for the appropriate time length to cook what ever I put in.

For example - Rice, the last 20 minutes with the lid on.
Pasta, the last 10 minutes with the lid off.
Potatoes, 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of them) with the lid off.

This made an enormous amount and because there is no starches in it (other than the peas), the rest will freeze up nicely for another meal.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I just remembered I also threw in some chopped cabbage that needed to be used. Funny we are not big cabbage eaters here but in soup it's pretty good.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Wow, I just throw in pretty much anything I've got. Meat, potatoes, greens, beans, tomatoes, corn, peas, and then add garlic and onions (always good in my taste) and whatever herbs smell like a good idea at the time. I've only had one time (in 30 years) that it didn't come out quite good, and that one was spectacularly bad and I never figured out why - just chalked one up to experience and went out to pick up a cheap pizza.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts