Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite veggie dip is plain yogurt with curry spice added.

Anyway I can turn this dip into a salad dressing?

And if it is frugal and doesn't add lots of calories that would be wonderful!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would say just add some vinegar to the dip to thin it out to the desired consistency. Vinegar won't add any calories or fat.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say just add some vinegar to the dip to thin it out to the desired consistency. Vinegar won't add any calories or fat.
I know vinegar curdles milk, will it curdle the yogurt?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I have a recipe somewhere for yogurt & curry dressing. I can't find it right now, but I know it's 2 tsp of olive oil for every 1/2 cup of low-fat yogurt. Mix it up and pop it in the fridge... it has to sit for an hour, but only make what you will use because it can't stay in the fridge for more than 5 or 6 hours.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I know vinegar curdles milk, will it curdle the yogurt?
Hmm, I didn't think of that. Yogurt is technically already curdled though, right? I would maybe try it with a very small amount and see what happens.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You could even try a little water to thin it out, the skim milk is a great idea too. You could experiment, a tablespoon of olive oil might compliment the flavor. I'd steer clear of the vinegar, it doesn't exactly curdle milk, but it makes it into something similar to buttermilk.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I make a dip into salad dressing a lot. I just add a couple spoonfuls of mayo and thin it out with milk. The mayo makes it taste more like salad dressing.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I make a different yogurt based salad sdressing and use the whey, a very small amount of vinegar (about 1 tsp), a little olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) and as much water as needed (varies depending on consistency of yogurt and tahini and how much why was available) to about 1/2 cup of yogurt to thin it down. The vinegar does not make the yogurt curdle, but it does add a significantly more sour flavor which might or might not go with the curry. The olive oil seems to help everything stay blended better (tried doing without it, better with it). The whey is simply the liquid that tends to collect at the top of yogurt or cottage cheese, and it seemed like a good use for it - it doesn't change the flavor and can be left out if you want.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Indian Curry Dressing Recipe

Try this one...We love it!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Dash of cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients (you may wish to add more salt). Refrigerate for up to 7 days (I store it in a glass bowl, as plastic bowls tend to absorb the strong odors of the garlic, cilantro, etc.).

Enjoy!
Anna

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I was going to say add a bit of milk......
what did you end up doing?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was going to say add a bit of milk......
what did you end up doing?
I haven't tried anything yet. I found so Balsamic Vinaigrette in the pantry that was about to expire so I have been using that up first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts