Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard so much about this disorder and really would like to know what the symptoms are and exactly how this affects a person and their family.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bi-polar disorder is the modern name for what we used to call Manic-Depression.
The person typically passes from periods of extreme euphoria feeling that they can do and accomplish anything, irresponsible spending, gambling, drinking, sex, etc. to periods of deep depression, sometimes to the point of suicidal ideation.
The difference between individuals with this disorder is often in the cycling, some rapid cycle going from euphoria to depression in a matter of days, to slow cycling with periods lasting for months.
The disorder can be effectively treated with anti-depressants, or mood stabalizers like lithium. But often when the person feels euphoric they don't want to take their meds and they crash.
Bi-polar is a particularly hard mental disorder for family members for obvious reasons. I hope this helps. You can get a lot more info from your local Mental Health center or private dr.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. That really helped.

Can you tell me if some people with bi-polar illness tend to stretch the truth or lie without realizing they are doing it?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
In my experiences, I had a college roommate who was diagnosed with bipolar. She would refuse to take her medicine and ended up in the hospital several times. I know that it seemed like one big roller coaster ride with her as her emotions seemed to change minute by minute or hour by hour. One minute she would be just fine, then the next she would be cussing you out for no reason at all, then two minutes after that she would be crying, then after that she would be laughing. Now, when she took her medicine, she appeared to be fine - no roller coaster emotions, but it definitely was a learning experience for me.
I do know that often times my roommate would lie about taking her medicine - saying she took it but finding out afterward that she didn't.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I don't know if bi-polar includes the stretching of truth or telling lies. I am sure some people compulsively tell lies and simply cannot help it. I am thinking that probably illnesses manifest in different ways, but can be still under the name of one illness or another depending on the person who has it. Also, there are some disorders that cause the mind to skew actual events, so that the individual cannot recall the way something actually occurred, so when asked they respond in the way their brain interprete the event, but may not be the way the event actually occured. Hope some of this helps :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
My mil is bi-polar CJ. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM or email me. :)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
cj, I find that it is the stark opposite of that (lying and bipolar) with my dad who is bipolar.

He knows dates going back since before I was born that such and such happend. He will tell the truth so much you want him to stop, if you know what I mean. (telling about his love interests and other stuff that just makes you cringe)

I do know that bipolar isn't going to have a simple set of symptoms we all get (i'm also bipolar). So in short,lying etc. could be part of being bipolar?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
All excellent descriptions ~ I have clinical depression boardering mania.

This is hard for me to answer right now as I'm in a REALLY bad space at the moment :(

I was only here to 'look' tonight - so it makes it hard for me to type, not because of the depressive feelings so much but because the imbalance in my brain can make me feel 'drunk' and I can't concentrate, remember what I want to say or have said etc.

Anyway the lying bit ~ Everybody is different, with different up-bringings and experiences, so it follows their depression will also be different (maybe that's why it's so hard to treat???) For me personally I am VERY honest, also to the point of being embarrasing and sometimes cruel. However there are certain things in my life (like Melissa said) for example the death of my children and father that were so much for me to deal with that I replay them over and over in my head and change bits I'm not comfortable with to the point that when I re-tell them I'm not sure myself if it's the way it 'really' happened?

I've lost the plot again ~ I am sorry! I hope I made some sense?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many people with mental illness have what we call a dual diagnosis. There are Axis I diagnoses and Axis II. Axis II includes personality disorders which are not Mental Illnesses but simply personality symptoms that make life problematic. Dysfunctions. There are several which involve people that lie. This might be what you are seeing in addition to Bi-polar, a personality disorder which involves lying or stretching the truth.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Miss Kitty, that has really given me a clearer picture of the whole issue.

I so appreciate everyone's information here.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My SIL is bi-polar. We've been friends for over 10 years and I've seen her at her worst and best. Bi-polar disorder is a chemical imbalance and as has been stated can be controlled with medications.

Unfortunately, my SIL is a recovering alcoholic. Med's and alcohol don't mix as we know and this causes MAJOR problems. That or she'd go off the med's.

A few months past she was so depressed that she checked herself into the hospitol. Thankfully, the reason was found for her depressions...her med's needed to be adjusted. Once that was taken care of they kept her for observation (about a week) and then sent her home when they felt she was no longer a danger to herself or others.

Usually, bi-polar's don't show symptom's until their late teens--early twenties. My SIL wasn't diagnosed until her LATE twenties. Her symptoms had begun several years before and every doc she went to couldn't tell her what was wrong. During her UN-diagnosed time she tried to kill herself several times.

It's a destructive illness. Her marriage suffered and ended in divorce...etc. So Sad.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=B2138CDB-0C42-4B6F-8AF50CA8903055A7&section=2

Bipolar Disorder

Signs and Symptoms

Article sections:
Overview
Signs and Symptoms
Causes
Risk Factors
When to Seek Medical Advice
Screening and Diagnosis
Complications
Treatment
Self-Care
Coping Skills

Bipolar disorder is characterized by an alternating pattern of emotional highs (mania) and lows (depression). The intensity of the signs and symptoms varies. Bipolar disorder can range from a mild condition to a severe condition.

For many people, the manic signs and symptoms include:

Feelings of euphoria, extreme optimism and inflated self-esteem
Rapid speech, racing thoughts, agitation and increased physical activity
Poor judgment and recklessness
Difficulty sleeping
Tendency to be easily distracted
Inability to concentrate
Extreme irritability

In the depression phase, signs and symptoms include:

Persistent feelings of sadness, anxiety, guilt or hopelessness
Disturbances in sleep and appetite
Fatigue and loss of interest in your daily activities
Difficulty in concentrating
Recurring thoughts of suicide

Complications

Bipolar disorder isn't as black-and-white as it may sound.

Other problems, such as anxiety disorder or alcoholism, may affect people with bipolar disorder. The length, severity and frequency of mood swings vary from person to person. In about 15 percent of people with bipolar disorder, there is rapid cycling, with more frequent and shorter periods of mood disturbance.

It's also possible for mania and depression to be present at the same time. In this mixed state, you may experience combinations of agitation, disturbances in sleep and appetite, suicidal thoughts and psychosis. Psychosis is a major mental disorder in which the personality is disorganized and contact with reality is impaired, often including auditory hallucinations and delusions — firmly held erroneous beliefs.

OK, here is my question.... After reading through this information, if you knew someone who writes to God and God writes back...and this same person has an Angel and knows what the Angel looks like though a vision and the Angel even has a name, would you consider this person delusional or spiritual? Keep in mind that this person has bipolar symtoms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts