Frugal Village Forums banner

can u use freezer burnt chicken in chicken soup?

14K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Nana2two 
#1 ·
A neighbor gave me a bag of bone-in chicken breasts but I didnt realize how freezer burnt they were....Can I use them for chicken soup or would you still be able to taste the "burntness"?
I'd like to make chicken soup for dinner with it....

#2 ·
While the breasts are still partially frozen and firm, use a sharp knife to cut off the 'burned' parts. The remaining chicken should be fine.

#3 ·
I would think you might be able to marainate the chicken. Cut off the very worst edges of the freezer burn if possible, first. That would be my method of choice.

Soup should be a good way to go :)

#4 ·
There's way too much burnt parts to cut off...That's why I thought making it into a soup would be ok...I just dont want to make a huge batch and find out its no good later...
I was just gonna throw them into boiling water til it falls off the bone...

#5 ·
ok..I ran each piece under hot water and pulled the skin off..the parts of the meat that were burnt I was able to "scratch" off...
The chicken is now in a pot along with a 2-3 pound roaster chicken she gave me (too small to do anything else wtih)...I'll let that boil for a few hours for some good stock...Then I'll strain the broth into a bowl to go back into the pot and add some veggies...we're gonna have it for dinner and hopefully have enough to put up for a few more meals...

#6 ·
What time should we be there??? :) I can smell it from here!

Reactions: alarosalpn
#12 ·
Yeah so when is dinner? I sure cold use some hot chicken soup about now. Maybe it would help my sore throat.. But I have used chicken and beef when they have some freezer burn. I think when you add all the spices and such it makes them ok. That was really nice that you got the extra stuff. Always helps the food budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.