Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I'd like to try baking bread for the first time. I've been to the websites that have been posted, but I'm having a hard time putting it all together.

I'd like to bake a loaf of bread that will be good for sandwiches and toasting. It can be whole wheat or white and I'd like to use a dough hook if possible instead of kneading by hand.

Please, can anyone help me with a recipe and step by step instructions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Google "no knead bread" It will give you a bread recipe from the NY Times. It is very forgiving and I have baked it in loaf pans before to make sandwich bread. It takes very little work/effort. You just have to start it the day before, so make sure you give yourself time.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
it depends on what kinda bread you like to have.

there are yeast breads (which take longer to make, is a fun experience to learn and can be fluffy).
then there are soda breads (shorter to make (no resting), fun as well, and can be a little denser (hence, no yeast - but not like a brick, just fewer air pockets))

so it depends on what you want.
i always make a soda bread (since someone in our house can't have yeast).
and it's SO much easier, since I can make it along with dinner and it be done by the time dinner's on the table.

i've made white, wheat, rye and combos of these as well. :)
i sometimes keep 'em plain, or add herbs, roasted tomatoes, peppers, olives, onions, or fruits, like raisins, dried fruits, etc... whatever, for a different taste. at times i'll make a "pizza" like bread, and add tomato sauce or paste (depending on the consistency i want) for the liquids. (if using paste, always add a little water). ;)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irresistible-Irish-Soda-Bread/Detail.aspx

i use something like this one.
now for butter milk, if you dont have that... you can use regular milk plus a little vinegar or lemon juice to "curdle" the milk to make buttermilk (which is simply soured milk). ;)

but if you wanna try your hand at a yeast bread...
try something like this... try it basic, plain... the first time.
then after you get experience with how to make a basic "white" (or wheat or whatever you want) bread... then you can start to add jellies (the dried fruits) or veggies or herbs or some of each. ;)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crusty-White-Bread/Detail.aspx

another VERY common bread is hot-cross buns:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Cross-Buns-I/Detail.aspx

please note, there are TONS of ways to make breads (ie, basic ingredients).

what I found were some of the first ones I used to get a "feel" for what it's like.

there are tons more out there... and imagination is your limit.

good luck & happy baking :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Here is my favorite bread recipe. It is super good and DH loves in for sandwiches becuase it is kind of hearty! It is from the tightwad gazette, but I made some changes to it since that was meant for round loaves and also to be made in a food processor, which I don' thave! So here it is:

DO NOT PRE-HEAT YOUR OVEN!
5-6 cups of flour
2 TBS dry yeast (you can use active dry or rapid rise)
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS salt (I find it too salty, so I only add 1/2 TBS)
2 cups hot water
1 beaten egg

Mix 4 cups of flour with yeast, salt & sugar. Add hot water and mix well. Stir in remaining 2 cups of flour and mix as well as you can. Then dump out onto counter or cutting board and knead until dough is elastic-y. (the recipe says knead for 8 minutes, but I've NEVER done it that long :) I'm just too lazy!). Divide it in half, and roll out with your hands into 2 french bread size loafs. Put in on a cookie sheet (you may need two sheets, depending on how big they are). Cover with a towel and place on top of fridge or somewhere warm to rise. Needs to rise for at least 15 minutes, but the longer you let them rise, the less dense the bread will be.
Pull the towel off, I usually put little slits in the top to make it look like bakery bread, then brush on the eggs to give it a nice look when it comes out.
Place in a cold oven with a pan of water on the lowest rack (I just use a pie plate filled with water). Then heat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook for 40 -50 minutes. You'll know it is done when they are golden and shiny!

Even my husband, who doesn't cook....ever....loves to make this bread!

Good luck on your bread making adventures! I love the way it makes my house smell and there is nothing in the world better than warm bread from your own oven!

Reactions: mommato2kids

·
Registered
820 Posts
I made bread for the first time tonight. I haven't tasted it yet but I'm hoping it turned out well. I put the other half of the dough in the freezer. All I used was a little electric mixer at the very beginning and then my own 2 hands... lol. It really wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Though I would still like to get a mixer once we buy a house with more counter space. Maybe even invest in a bread maker too. :chef:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Bread makers are handy, becuase you can set it and walk away for 2 hours. I got one when we got married several years ago, and honestly, it sits in the cupboard! I almost never use it. The bread that comes out is really yummy, but I swear hand kneaded bread is always better! Plus, it always seems that I need alot more ingredients for the bread maker bread than handmade bread!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much! I'm going to take a look at the suggested sites and recipes and give it a shot!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've been making the bread recipe at thesimpledollar.com for several months. He explains it in a way that removes the intimidation factor.

·
Registered
962 Posts
yummy. . .homemade bread. Years ago I dated a guy who made the best bread. He would knead it and they always turned out perfect every time. He used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour. My biggest regret is that I didn't get the recipe before I dumped him.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My blog address is in my signature. I have a breadmaking tutorial on there that I put up months ago. Just go to my blog...then in the right column under "view posts by subject" click on "tutorials"...you'll find it in there. There's step by step instructions along with lots of pictures.

·
Registered
77 Posts
thanks 4 the tips!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts