Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and/or open during the day? Can you or do you leave your windows open/unlocked during the summer?

I grew up in NY and was raised to be very lock the door happy. We now live in a very low crime area, but I am still locking the doors. I can't leave doors or windows open or unlocked.

How about you?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
We leave windows open and frequently the doors go unlocked, unless we will be gone ALL day. When I lived up north from here I left my house unlocked all the time.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
doors unlocked windows open, except at night when we go to bed then the door are locked, windows still open..
well no that is wrong my kitchen door is unlocked but my front door (this is never used) could be locked.....

Eileen

·
27,948 Posts
Doors locked and windows open. I like locking the door when I'm home alone during the day too.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Our doors didn't have locks on them. So we never locked them. But recently I did put little hook latches on them so that Tyler can't escape. lol
This is a very small, low crime town... alot of people leave their doors open and unlocked. When you go down the main street all the vehicles have the keys in them and some are left running while people run errands.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The only time we keep our doors unlocked is if we are here and working in the yard. If you saw my yard you would realize that is a constant thing!! :D We will keep our windows open and our doors are ALWAYS locked. Once a week you here on the news here about home invasions that happen to people just sitting in there homes. Plus Malcom is so over causious about things so our doors always are locked. Our home is basically like fort knox around here. :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I do leave the doors unlocked and windows open during the day but lock the doors at night. Dh works third shift so it's just me & the dogs at night

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
During the day - doors are unlocked and open, windows open.

At night - doors locked and only windows on the second floor are open (unless dh is cold!! :D )

Although on hot summer nights, I have been know to leave the front door open all night while I'm downstairs, but my porch doors are ALWAYS locked.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
yes, but we don't. I guess since al that mess happened last year with our family we just feel safer with them locked!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Doors and windows totally unlocked-In fact I don't even know where my keys to my doors are :eek:

The only time I lock my house is when we go on vacation for a week, and its always a hassle finding the keys-I have to start searching a week before we leave!! LOL

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't think I could leave my doors open anywhere?

I might have them open during the day IF I'm in but they are locked when we go out.

I usually leave my back door unlocked but it's not sensible - I just 'forget'.

The one day I did remember I locked myself out of the house LOL.

We had an attempted murder across the street in broad day light a few weeks ago! :eek:

But it wouldn't matter where I lived I would never go out and leave the door unlocked.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
When the kids were in school, I would leave the front door open for them in case we were not home when they got home. I can leave the windows open during the day and the doors too. At night I lock the doors and leave the windows open. Except when the A/C is on. Then the windows are locked.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We leave the windows open if we are home, and awake. But, when we leave, all windows, and door are locked, and our alarm system is turned on.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I live in So. California~I NEVER NEVER leave my doors or windows unlocked!!!!!!!!!!! We are in a nice area but you never know!!! During the day and night the doors are always locked, I might have my patio door open if I am in that room. If I go upstairs I shut and lock the patio door! I don't even leave my garage door up while we are home, everything is shut and locked!!!!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I rarely ever lock my back door because the dog is back there. I know someone could get rid of the dog and get in, but she is loud and who would take a chance?. Plus the kids need to get in so we leave it open during the day. I usually lock it at night tho. The front door is always locked tho and we rarely even use it.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I leave my doors locked all the time. This house was burglarized several years ago, some man kicked the front door open.:mad: :eek: Thankfully no one was home at the time. We have a fairly high crime area, so better to be safe than sorry.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
I don't know where my door keyes are either. We don't even shut the doors very often. Makes me feel closed in. I had probably better stay in the country huh.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I just thought of something else-I take my back door completely off in the summer/fall. Because of the way this stupid house is set up, when the door is open, it blocks a high traffic area, so I got so tired of fighting with it, I just took it off, and have been doing it ever since!!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
My neighbors don't, but I'm a city raised girl and always do....

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
No locked doors here unless we leave on vacation or something. My house key is a skeleton key for pete's sake! If anyone really wanted in- all they have to do is push hard or break out the window which is half the front door!

We do lock our car in the summer- otherwise we get buried in garden produce from maurading neighbors looking to find a home for their zucchini, cucumbers, onions and such ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts