Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm not allowed to drive until Sunday, because of the c-section. Also, the baby in the carseat is quite a bit heavier than just the baby alone. So, since I can't get to the store, I'm cooking with what I have in the house.

Not sure what to make tonight, given what I have on hand. I already made meatloaf this week, as well as pasta with meat sauce and pork chops. I don't really feel like making stroganoff, but will if I can't come up with anything else. I'd love a new idea. What I have is:

ground beef
cream of mushroom soup
taco shells, but no taco seasoning
cream of chicken soup
blocks of cheddar cheese
Bisquick
bread crumbs
all kinds of spices

Any ideas? Anyone?

·
27,948 Posts
Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Registered
3,299 Posts

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Creamy chicken and cheese soup with biscuits. Biscuits with beef and mushroom gravy. And I'll 2nd the taco seasoning. Do you have any frozen vegetables to toss in for a quick biscuit-topped farmer's pie?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
If you have milk you could make a beef gravy and having it over biscuits.

Ground the beef drain some of the grease. return beef to skillet make a white sauce ( milk and flour and the left in pan grease salt and pepper to taste)

Serve over bisquick biscuits.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Do you have barley? How about carrots and celery?

Really good soup (kind of a comfort food). Got the recipe from the book Fix It and Forget It. Goes together quickly (I precook the hamburger the night before, then just dump everything in the crockpot the next morning). Because I have a really nice herb garden, I often jazz up the spices a bit, but this is good as is also.

Hamburger Soup with Barley

1 pound hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
3 14-1/2 oz. cans beef consommé or broth
28 oz. can diced or crushed tomatoes
3 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
8 T barley (I've used 4-5 T and that works just fine)
1 bay leaf
1 t dried thyme
1 T dried parsley
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Brown beef and onion in skillet. Drain. Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3 hours on high.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL @MadHen...we ate the last of them last night. Dh has been doing the shopping, and he is great at sticking to the list. I keep forgetting to put veggies on the list, though, because I like to see what they have, what looks good, and what's on sale in the produce department when I get there. :)

These all look great, everyone! Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
MY kids love the bisquick cheeseburger pie that has been mentioned.... I usually open up a can of green beans and peaches with it and call it "supper"

·
Registered
146 Posts
Something I do you can take the ground beef add chopped onion and bread crumbs and what ever seasoning you like. Make patties and fry, then drain all grease from it and mix the mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix or your own seasonings and put in a bakeing dish and pour over meat cook for about 20 to 30 min at 350. very good. Tc

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Do you have any canned fruit? You could serve that as "dessert" after dinner. It isn't quite veggies, but at least it would come from the "fruit/veggie" food groups.

Do you have any noodles? Mac and cheese with hamburger in it would be good. Make bisquick biscuits to round out the meal.

If you don't have any noodles, you could mix the hamburger with some milk, the can of mushroom soup (maybe the chicken one too if you need extra "goosh"), some of the cheese, and pour bisquick biscuit mix over it and bake and call it a casserole. Again, I would make biscuits to go with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.