Frugal Village Forums banner

can you recommend a credit monitoring service

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  littleplum 
#1 ·
Since my identity has been swiped Dh and I were talking last night about using a credit monitoring service. Has anyone used one? Do you have any recommendations?

#2 ·
i pay 17 a month for freecreditreport.com. it's very good. they notify me if anything changes or monthly if everything is ok.

i also have my USAA creit card rigged so that i get an email if anything is charged. Two unauthorized charges have been dealt with in this way so far.

Reactions: nodmicks
#3 ·
#7 ·
I haven't used one and will be watching to see what they offer for the money paid that my 3 free (truly free) credit reports can't tell me - or me monitoring my monthly statements, that I can't do myself.

Free credit report is being taken to court due to unauthorized charges on people's acct. When you use them you 'automatically' sign up for the monthly fee and people have had trouble getting if OFF their card, when they carelessly did not read the contract (very small print) when they used it for a credit report.

#12 ·
No, I didn't lose anything. I never used that credit card online either. I was blaming the resort we stayed at kind of to be honest. They had my DL number, and that credit card for a 3000 deposit on the condo for damage plus the condo fee. However they did not have my SSN number. So I am probably wrong

If you see my thread here I explain most of it. I just found out today from Verison that my SSN and DL were used to open the fraudulent verison accounts. I was upset it was my cc but it was fixed. Now I'm beyond horrified it was more of my identity than just my cc. Here is the original thread

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125600&page=2

Here is some more info I posted yesterday:

"Our discover card numbers were stolen a few weeks back. Discover took care of it. I got a huge bill for Verison today. I live in WI. Someone had taken out several phones in KY in my name and with my WI address. I spent forever on the phone with verison and it is supposedly fixed.

"Since my info was stolen we put a 90 day fraud alert on my credit info after I was told by Discover it was a good idea. I got letters from the credit bureau saying it was done and to please go to their sites to get a free credit report.

I go to get the credit reports. You know how they ask you security questions like your mortgage holder, loan amount, year of mortgage etc? Anyways not one answer on any were anything I even recognized . All three bureaus said something to the effect of "for your own security your account is frozen (or whatever) and to call a number to get my report. On one of the credit bueaus phone systems It said " since you recently requested a copy of your credit report we can not send one out at this time. I NEVER REQUEST IT!!!!

I'm freaking out a bit here!!!! When we were going to refi last fall I the bank gave us a copy of our credit report. The banker even complimented us on that being one of the best scores he has seen. This is looking kind of fishy and I am scared to death more than just our discover card info was stolen and a big verison account opened in my name and address!"

#17 ·
We use the credit monitoring program through USAA- we pay $5 each/month. They're really good- they show updates very quickly.

DH's mom is irresponsible with money and does drugs. She also has DH's social security number. So we do credit monitoring for our own peace of mind.

OP: I noticed you talked about wanting a company that will help you sort out the identity theft once it happens. Are you thinking of a company like LifeLock? www.LifeLock.com

I haven't used this service, but have heard of other people using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.