Frugal Village Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
That is interesting Mommy4ever. I find the same thing. My DD has also gone to the paleo diet due to a grain factor in her weight gain. I limit grains to 3 or 4 servings a day. And they have to be gluten free ones for me.

On another note... I went grocery shopping the other day and found food for one week for three of us cost me $182CAD!!! :sigh: I did buy some tuna and pasta sauce to stock up. Normally I make my own pasta sauce, but I thought this would be a good break for me on days when I'm in a hurry. It was tomato and basil Classico on for $2.77. Normally the GF caterer sells it for $5 a jar! And Superstore has it for more than $3.25. Safeway sells it for $3.99.

I bought 10 cans of tuna at .97/can. it's been a while since I've seen tuna under $1/can. That's my fall and winter supply. We don't eat a lot of tuna. I can remember buying tuna in the not too distant past at half that price. Makes me a bit scared about retirement! Fixed income and rising prices all the time. I've never seen them drop yet!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I don't much for organic. I feed 6 plus dayhome kids for $150/week most weeks. But I do get free produce from difference sources. Cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, apples, berries :) I freeze lots. And hoping to freeze and dehydrate some stuff, especially as it comes on sale, or I get freebies :)

Reactions: peanut
D

·
0 Posts
Currently my wife and I use 480 cad a month and we do buy mostly organic and try to use local markets and small shops as much as possible. Also, we could cut that down a bit but we LOVE food. One way we save when/if needed is by buying a lot of root veggies. Potatoes, plantains, sweet potatoe, squash, yucca, etc. Depending on what part of Canada you\'re in some will be cheaper than others. But root veggies are great cause you can bake, make fries, make a mash, beef up almost any meal for cheap.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
depends here things are going up and up.. anywhere from 600 to 800 a month with household stuff and pets. always try to stockpile stuff we use when on sale like peanut butter or spaghetti sauce.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts