Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one please tell me what the heck it is,,, this is killing me...LOL

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Robin, it had to me that mentioned it too. :toothy:

Canadian Tire money has been around for many years. Each time you purchase something from Canadian Tire, they give you a specific amount of Canadian Tire money and you can use it towards purchases from Canadian Tire.

So we get our gas for our van at Canadian Tire and they are paying 5¢ for every litre of gas. So we usually end up with around $2.25 worth of Canadian Tire money.

I put it towards all my purchases there. I watch for sales there and then put it towards the sale and usually can walk away from there getting a few cents back. You can't cash it in as money though.

Basically, its coupons only it looks like money. Heres what it looks like:

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I meant to explain that in another thread when we were talking about it. Do you have anything like that there Robin?

Oh and to let you know also, you can buy more at Canadian Tire than just tires....;) :smball: You can buy small appliances, dishes, TV's, toys, sports equipment, lighting, plumbing, anything for your car and much, much more!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Robin, and the much, much more is: tp, dish soap, laundry soap, gardening supplies, tv's, stereos, paint, tools, etc. etc. etc.

We have a huge Canadian Tire store in the city we shop in and they have 5 in Winnipeg where we use to live.

Its a man's dream store but now most ladies love shopping there too!!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No we dont really have anything like that here. When I was a kids we had Blue Chip Stamps, and even earlier than that we had S&h Green stamps. Did you guys ever have those.. They were basically like CTM, you got som many stamps per dollars spent at certain places. Then you could buy from catalogs. They stopped it so many years ago tho. I remember licking them for my mother to fill books. Thanks for answering what inquiring minds NEEDED to know!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Robin, some people collect Canadian Tire money as a precious collection. My uncle does that. Aparently, it is worth even more. He has the the first ones that cam out, some misprinted ones, etc...

Last year, I had 40$ saved in Canadian tire money. I bought my ds rollerskates with it! It's like a free gift! You can buy anything you want in the store with that money.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we had something similar to that here ata dollar store. when you spent a certain amount, you'd be given money in that amount....say you spent ten dollars in the store. the store would goive you ten "play money" dollars back. (and whatever your change was of course, lol)you could save these dollars towards a purchase of other things in the store...for every one dollar of real money, would equal 10 of these "play money" dollars. so if on your next visit you saw something for 3.00 you could either use real money to buy it for three dollars or use 30 dollars of the play money to buy it.was neat, but the store went outta business.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I remember green stamps! My parents saved them up and bought a stereo with them!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I remember green stamps. I used them to get a set of dishes when I was newly married back in the early 80s. I miss green stamps! I loved them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:D I love Canadian Tire money!

We use this money to teach our children about saving and spending, as they are allowed to use this to purchase Christmas and Birthday gifts for family.

They earn Canadian Tire money for doing extra chores, or for being extra cooperative and thoughtful ...hmmmmmm..... rather like Brownie points on this site!!! LOL

They collect it, and count it, then search the catalogue and online site to plan their gift giving for the year. It has really been helpful in teaching them about the concepts associated with money, and saving! :D :smball:

Canadian Tire also has a wide variety of items to choose from for anyone on their gift list, and a wide range of prices so they can always find something for anyone on their gift list.

We have alot of fun, and learning with Canadian Tire money in our household!!:D :D

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Ymay, what a novel idea. I love it. I'm going to do the same with my kids. Dd is already wondering how she is going to earn points!!!

Thanks for the sharing how you use your Canadian Tire money.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We have Shopper's Cash points at a grocery store we go to occasionally. For every dollar you spend, you get a point. Then they have special items every week that are on sale for really cheap and sometimes free. You have to have 40 points for each item to get it at the special price. I've done the points(store coupon) along with manufacturer's coupon and come out ahead on occasion. Usually I wait to get free eggs and sugar for .49 a 4lb bag. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
:D LOL, I am glad to know I can make some Canadian kiddoes happy!

We have really enjoyed doing this with our children. While we always make home made gifts and cards to go along with the store bought gifts, my children really enjoy "earning" the money for any store bought gifts.

There have been so many benefits for our family, by using our Canadian Tire money this way! They have learned the practical lessons about earning money, saving, counting and the cost of things, and so many intangible life lessons that we hope will influence them throughout life!

I hope you and your children have as much fun, and benefit as much as we have, from earning and learning through Canadian Tire money!:smball: :smball:

I can't wait to hear how your children are earning their points, and Canadian Tire money!!:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
With Canadian Tire money, I bought 2 cases of canning jars, it was great! Wall Mart should come with their own money. I love them, in US they sell food, I hope they do here in Canada as well, haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
579 Posts
some walmarts sell food, superstores....i know eventually all ontario walmarts will be superstores,

canadian tire money rocks...love it...
i know several folks who've saved over 1000$ and used it for snowblowers and the like...

here on a sunday its more like church, EVERYONE you've ever met...is there and their brother....i always said stick a cross on the top and hold mass there....heck they have lots of them with tim hortons...the other canadian institution.....

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Wait, does the Canadian Tire money ever expire? If it doesn't, oops! :lol: I usually toss it away. I'm heading to Canadian Tire next week so I guess I should save it. The funny thing is that we never buy gas from there because DH loves Shell or Husky more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts