Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the new format of these debates.

I definitely like the new format. I won't be watching all the debates, just partially. I'm really not into debates that much because I don't think you get the "real picture".

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I like the format now, and yes I'll be watching.

I caught a bit of the last one.

It's a bit staged, but still it gives a chance for some of the issues to get touched on, that otherwise the politicians try to avoid if it's bad for them or major on if it's bad for the other guy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We watched a bit, and it was interesting, and nice that everyone could get their point across without talking over eachother. From what I watched I'm not sure if I'm swayed or not. I'm closer to the edge than I've been in years, but not sure if I'll be convinced enough to change my vote.

Cindy :)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I watched the entire 2 hours and I really like the way every gets to speak without interruption for a limited time span and then everyone gets a chance at rebuttals. If they waste it by wandering aimlessly they lose their own time, and they can't yell at each other.

I thought it went well, and I liked the brisk pace thru the issues but one thing I thought was a bit problematic. They were responding to questions the 3 major national networks were asking. And that isn't always what the Canadian on the street would ask or how it would be phrased.

That was minor. At least this gave each of them time and opportunity to respond to issues and rebutt their critiques.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's getting quite interesting because my party is in the lead. I do hope it stays that way and we get a majority government or otherwise will be doing this again in 15 months.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I would have liked to have seen it. But we don't have cable and we don't get any channels.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I think the radio tomorrow will be discussing it to death. I thought they all had a good showing.

Martin was definitely on the defensive as Duceppe and Layton aimed their guns at everyone else but most particularly Martin.

Harper aimed at Martin but he also managed to articulate his platform and came off with some very swift very clever rebuttals. He did very well, I think he came off the best of all 4 but that may just be my own perception. He did very well with the health care, gun control and tax break questions.

he definitely appeared calm, and in control, even amused thru the whole debate.

Martin managed to rebutt fairly well I thought, but he had to spend a lot more time defending his party than elaborating how and why his platform would be different. And he wasn't able to refocus away from the scandals for any length of time. He had the weakest starting position, having to defend his party both in regard to their performance, and past promises in previous elections, and also in regard to the scandals.

Part way thru he was sweating, and he stammered a bit as his emotions seemed to get a little more visible.

Layton was at ease during the debate focusing on attacking Martin and a bit of Harper and Duceppe, but it seemed to me he was happy to stand aside and let them fight it out while he tried to pick up votes for a third alternative. It was obvious that he isn't going to have to back up his campaign promises as he will not form any ruling party so he kept his energy to poking holes in the other 3 and staying out of the mud slinging when it got going.

Duceppe was fascinating as he mostly stayed on the offensive in attack position, but I got the strong impression that he is most often in agreement with Harper and vice versa while Layton favoured the Liberal positions, even as Layton was primarily attacking the scandal.

Duceppe was only uncomfortable when asked why if he supported standing by the Supreme Court, and not revisiting the gay marriage issue, he could come out and say after 3 refererendums that Quebec should continue to explore the idea of separation.

He adroitly maneuvered past the definition of Quebec as a nation which he demanded from Martin, and Martin gave him; but Martin turned tables and hinted that if so, then the First Nations have a say in whether Quebec left, and how much of Quebec would be allowed to leave if the other ethnic groups were allowed to choose for or against sovreignty. Good point and Duceppe managed to avoid it, but it was obvious that Duceppe was on the defensive there.

Duceppe brought up an old historical point, saying that the borders of Quebec at the time of Confederation should remain the same if they opt out, but you can't have it both ways. Either the First Nations have a stake at the table of negotiation or they don't and Duceppe had to concede that they had nation status too which weakens his position.

I don't think it will have changed anything, nor at this point did anything wildly new come up. The positions remain the same, the leaders were able to articulate them quickly enough that they didn't lose the electorate's attention span too badly. Thank heavens for time limits and not allowing interruptions.

I doubt it will do anything other than confirm what direction people were already voting to begin with.

In Quebec, the Conservatives and the NDP will simply be spoilers to deflect more votes away from the Liberals and towards the Bloc Quebecois. At least that is how it looked to me during the debate. The more that Harper and Layton focused on the Liberal troubles the better Duceppe liked it.

That is how I saw it.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting Margery.

I heard that if the Liberals lose, Martin is out. If the Conservatives lose, Harper is out. Not a very good scenario for either man. Harper really seems to be proving himself worthy of being a leader this time around. I think he learned from his mistakes last time.

I do wish they had the green party there. Their leader has had some good things to say although they would never get in, at least not yet.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I think Harper will win. He is calm and definitely the other's attacks didn't faze him at all. He used them very well to bring attention to his own points even as he did his rebuttals. And his rebuttals were excellent. Short and to the point but well thought out.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's hope so. It's time for a change in our government and some new blood. I'm sure every politician makes mistakes, they are only human. However the scandals that have plagued our government for years really needs to be stopped. Hopefully a new government (should Harper win) will change that.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Thank-you so much! Margery. I felt as if I had been watching the whole show. I appreciate the time you took to present the information to me and Dh. He was reading over my shoulder. By the way Dh says you like family! And it is true you do bear a resemblance to his Irish ancestry........do you have some Irish in you?

By the way, I agree with both of your political views....he he.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
ROFL you two!

Well a lot of Gaelic blood runs in my veins, but mostly Scottish. However the roots are the same even if the version of Gaelic is a bit different.

And my dad well bless him, he drinks, he fights and lives to drink and fight some more in between writing so maybe there is a tad bit more in common with the James Joyce side of the Celtic divide than the Scottish side.

And SOMEBODY must have kissed the Blarney stone because there is an awful lot of words going on.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Tonight I will tune in to part of the French language debate, but I doubt I'll sit thru the whole thing as I don't understand much spoken French and sometimes the translators lose or skew things for the subtitles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well.. I'm from a different area of the country, and looking at different issues, and must say personally I'd rather in income tax cut than an extra $25/week for my kids. That is one of my bigger issues.

I also just can't get past the fact that Harper and the conservatives scare the bejeezus out of me (memories of the Mulroney sellout to the US in the FTA).

I also don't like that Harper would have sent troups to IRAQ.

So now you know a bit where I stand. I don't like the liberal scandals, but I *also* believe most of that is the legacy of Mr. Chretien, and not the doings of this current gov't. Martin has had to slog through a lot of BS since becoming PM, and for the most part seems to have handled it well.

Just a different view of the world I guess!

Cindy :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts