Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pressure canner months ago and finally got the nerve to can some dried beans today. I canned 10 pints and am waiting until tomorrow morning to see if they are all sealed. They look sealed, but I'm not going to touch them until the 12 hours are up.

The hardest part was to get everything ready at the same time; the simmering water in the canner and boiling water for inside the jars. The lids were the easiest part.

It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I hope the beans came out well because I plan on eating a lot of beans this winter.

·
4,028 Posts
Beans will be the next item I try. I'm always reaching for a can of them and it would be so much healthier to can my own. :)

Reactions: pinetree

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Congratulations!

I am going to try and can some soon, did you soak your beans or dry pack them?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Congratulations!

Pinetree - so far I've only canned pintos and bean soup. When I canned my pinto beans I soaked them and then heated them prior to canning. When I canned my bean soup I learned (on FV) that you can use dry beans and fill the jar with broth. So for my soup I used 1/4-1/3 cup/pints and 1/2 cup/quarts and filled the jar with ham and broth. Turned out great and so much faster and easier!! Plus the beans are a little firm and not over cooked.

From now on when I can beans there will be no presoaking of the beans. Just remember that the beans double in size when you cook them. For pints I would not put more than a 1/2 cup dry beans in the jar and 1 cup for quarts. I'm afraid that with much more the jars would break.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put 1/2 cup dried beans and filled with boiling water to 1 inch below the top of the jar. Then processed. And out of 10 jars, only 8 sealed. The others I put in the freezer. I'm not sure why they didn't seal but will be more careful with the lids next time. Maybe I should have tightened the bands tighter before canning them, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Birdie, what kind of beans did you can? Just curious. I'm not sure what to try first.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually did different beans; 2 garbanzo, 3 pinto, 2 black beans, 1 cranberry and 2 kidney beans. One garbanzo and one pinto did not seal. After inspecting them, they were much more full of liquid, too full actually. So, maybe I didn't get them seated right on the rack. Or put a little too much boiling water in them. I'll be more careful next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts