Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked out on a deal at our Bulk Barn and got 5 lbs of white beans for $4!! Around here, it's usually a couple bucks a pound. So I cooked them up in my slow cooker, actually had to use both my slow cookers! lol I made a variety of Boston Baked beans that my folks use. But when we made it at home, there were more than enough of us that we never had enough to can or whatever. My question for you is can I can or freeze them? I'm hoping to otherwise my neighbours will be getting some lol I already shared a big bowl and it didn't even make a dent in the cooker LOL

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
When i cook white beans i always cook extra and freeze some for later.

·
Registered
708 Posts
how does one can beans..?

sorry... but i am a newbie to all of this and was wondering how i would go about canning baked beans....

thanks
I lucked out on a deal at our Bulk Barn and got 5 lbs of white beans for $4!! Around here, it's usually a couple bucks a pound. So I cooked them up in my slow cooker, actually had to use both my slow cookers! lol I made a variety of Boston Baked beans that my folks use. But when we made it at home, there were more than enough of us that we never had enough to can or whatever. My question for you is can I can or freeze them? I'm hoping to otherwise my neighbours will be getting some lol I already shared a big bowl and it didn't even make a dent in the cooker LOL

·
19,119 Posts
Want to know the answer also so am bumping this one up!!

·
8,714 Posts
~I freeze cooked beans and flavored baked beans all the time with no problems. Flat pack them in gallon zip bags so they thaw quicker.~

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
What a great idea - it never occurred to me to freeze beans! I'd also like to hear more about others' experience with canning them.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I've never canned beans, but I've frozen them.
I do this almost every time I have leftover beans when I'm not ready to use them in their assigned "planned over" meal.
I would like to know how to can them also... :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I can them all the time BUT you have to cook them as you can them. You can't can cooked beans. (Tried it a few times)

You can freeze them easily though. I have a recipe for canned baked beans if you are interested. You could probably change around the ingrediants to meet you own taste, just pay close attention to how you process the beans.

FYI, they have to be pressure canned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts