Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very busy canning/preserving to help fill my shelves for the coming winter months..

For the past 2-months I've canned up 89-jars so far of a variety of foods.

Many jars of dehydrated homegrown herbs..hopefully will have grown enough to dehydrate until next growing season.

What are you canning/preserving?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I have been canning fruti cocktail, then on to pear sauce, jams.
dried some onions, chives, my cumin didnt come up and the garden just isnt doing very well this year.

Did harvest the garlic, it should be about ready for storage, got some really good size bulbs this year.

also, tomorrow, freezing a bunch of anaheim peppers, after grilled, skinned and seeded, want to make salsa, marinira sauce. Onions are about ready to bring in.

Did you do garlic? WTG!! I have no where near that many jars...

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
So far, we've canned 56 pints of blueberries, 28 pints of lemon juice dill pickles; frozen 20 quarts of sugar pod peas, 3 qts of wild greens and 8 pints of cherries. We've dried a bit of basil too.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
So far I've put up 6 jars of pickle relish and 5 of pickles. There will undoubtedly be more.

I've frozen 2 pints of blueberries and have 2 more to get done. We don't really eat jam, and I have a lot of jars from previous years in the pantry.

I would like to get in some tomatoes, but I have to wait until I can get to the farmer's market, and they hold them here on Wed and Sat which are my two busiest days of the week already.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pinetree~yes I did grow garlic not real big bulbs but that's okay..
'
My Uncle recently married (was married to my Aunt for over 30 years then decided he didn't want to be married her anymore...she is MY Aunt even though they are not married anymore so this is hard on me because his new wife is a gardener and I have a lot in common with her but, I feel I would be betraying my Aunt by having a friendship with her) anyway, she is from Canada and use to sell her garlic like she grew 20,000 bulbs :vs_cool:..so now since she lives here she planted 2000 garlic bulbs and told me to help myself to as many as I want:surprise: so now I don't have the need to plant them because she will always have it...She also told me this garlic is from Italy as a friend gave it to her that lives there and has been around for many years.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Brenda, Wow, how lucky are you? that will save you alot of space in your garden! I thought we planted alot, buy thats on heck of a garlic patch! Are they hard neck? thats what we grow here, soft neck doesnt seem to do very well.

Thats kinda hard about your Aunts, I guess you need to be friends with both.

I havent counted the fruits in the freezer, I eat them so fast they go in and out too fast! lol

Reactions: brenda67

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pinetree~ Yes, I'm very thankful for all the blessings I've been receiving lately with food.

New Aunt grew the 20,000 bulbs to sell at the farmer market when she lived in Canada @ $2.50 each and she sold every one of them:vs_awed:

She loves to grow it along with many other veggies..said she owned 70-acres in Canada and that she had plenty of room to grow everything she wanted with plenty of sunlight..

I really don't feel right to be her friend honestly...you see my whole family lives on the same property which is 600 acre's now after they sold off 400 acres..MY Aunt stayed in her home that my uncle and her built which sits above the house that my uncle now resides in with his new wife...MY Aunt would see me no doubt and be crushed if she knew I had anything to do with the new Aunt...I just can't do that to her....I just can't!

Hope this kinda explains it a little..

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Does anyone have a good recipe for tomato sauce? Something like a plain tomato basil marinara would be great. I tried canning tomato sauce a few years ago but it came out so acidic I ended up tossing it, it was inedible.

Reactions: pinetree

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
11 qts fruit cocktail
2 qts pears
7pts pear sauce
roasted, peeled froze 20 lbs, anaheim peppers
froze 4 more pts blackberries

Brenda, I was thinking on of these were by marriage, and one would leave, which one is by marriage? You have your self a eral mess there, But if he is your uncle, how can you ignore him?

We are thinking about rototilling the garden under, the cucumbers, just started blooming, everything is really late, not growing at all. I think its crazy to waste the water on it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have made 2 batches of jam this year, and dehydrated squash and pumpkin puree. No freezer space for the pumpkin so need to dehydrate it. I have 5 more pumpkins to go. But going to finish up the yellow squash first. Starting to get a few tomatoes and hope to can those. I have about 20 small packages of peppers in the freezer so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts