Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i finally got around to doing something instead of sitting in the dark all the time--i's pressure canning 20 lbs. of redskin potatoes in wide mouth quart jars-makes 21 jars -I'm on the last batch now then i can rest for the nite -next ill be doing peaches and pears-still around just taking it slow--hugs to all fv

·
Registered
540 Posts
Canning is something I've never learned to do. I have always liked the idea of it, just never been around someone that did it.. I am a hands on type of learner, so reading about how to has never helped me..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I must save for a pressure canner. I have a water bath canner but I see more can be canned with a pressure canner.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Can we see pics?

Did you can them whole or in chunks or mashed?

I spent the weekend cleaning out my canned food. I had all sorts that was 3 and 4 years old ( a couple of cans from 2004). Some of the stuff was arecipe I tried for the first time and just didn't like it.

I did 4 dishwasher loads of jars!, but now I am ready for the canning season.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Of all the hundreds of quarts of food I've put up in my life time, I've never done potatoes. How do they taste?
Nothing prettier than a row of sparkling jars filled with good food for your family.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
would love to learn how to do that!

Way to go on all your hard work, the effort will have been well worth it!

Reactions: mh3rdwheel

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its on youtube-how to pressure can potatoes-only i put a teaspoon of bacon drippings and a half teaspoon of minced garlic--love garlic potatoes-and they taste great -next time i'll do new potatoes--got nectarines in the driers now then peaches--got to keep going -it takes mind off things--hmmm maybe i'll dry some watermelon too--hugs to all fv

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was just at the flea market outside of winchester va. and got 40 lbs red skin potatoes for 14.00 -you know i'll be canning next week if not tomorrow-- i never pass a good deal up-and i picked up another 2 dozen jars too-4.00 for all--hugs to all fv

·
2,688 Posts
I canned pototoes last summer. I will do them again soon.

I chunk them up for the size I want for a pototo salad for example. Then I can use them in a salad, pan fry or mash them. I do not recommend mashing them to can. Your product would be too dense. You can also can small ones whole.
I only put water and pototoes in a jar to can. Nothing else.
I start with raw pototoes. Add boiling water. I do not pre cook them. The ones I tried that way were way too mushy.

Mashing to freeze them is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts