Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a canning newbie and just made my first batch of salsa. Was excited to hear it seal, but disappointed in the overwhelming vinegar taste. It I pressure can the salsa can I eliminate or reduce the vinegar? And will it make the salsa mushier? Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, you can pressure can salsa, following a .edu recipe that eliminates the vinegar. However, I suggest that you try substituting lime juice for the vinegar in your salsa recipes. I find lime juice to be much more agreeable and it is more acidic than vinegar.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
You might also look around for a safe recipe that uses less vinegar.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I have made a few different canned salsa recipes and never had a vinegar taste. My favorite so far is on the blog an oregon cottage and called favorite salsa for canning. You really can't safely just cut the vinegar down in a canning recipe. I only use tested recipes and follow them exactly.....to me it isn't worth the risk not to.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Aren't the tomatoes acidic enough to not need any vinegar?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Aren't the tomatoes acidic enough to not need any vinegar?
No,not when you consider the onions & peppers, etc in the salsa. You need some kind of acid. The books I have on canning are very firm about this issue. You can't tinker with the ratios. I make a lot of salsa & give most of it away. I don't want to take any chances.
I have a niece that is never satisfied with canned salsa, so she just cans diced tomatoes, then adds the other ingredients when she is ready to eat it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I believe you can add sugar to counteract some of the bitterness of the vinegar.
Yes, but add the sugar after you open the jar and before you consume the salsa. Don't add the sugar prior to processing.

Lemon juice and lime juice are both approved substitutes for vinegar. You have to be very, very careful with lemon juice, though, the store bought stuff can be not acidic enough. That's why I like lime juice.

Reactions: TDN

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think if the lemon juice is the bottled kind it's a standard acidity but you can't use fresh lemon juice because of the variation.

Now the experts recommend adding lemon juice when you can tomatoes to avoid botulism.

These are the folks that did all the testing to determine what is safe for canning, etc.

National Center for Home Food Preservation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts