Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I was just thinking. I read DR's book and well i am just beginning the baby steps. I have most of my EF and will start a second job (part time) on Monday to pay towards debt. I also have been doing some research on simplifying my life and getting rid of a lot of my stuff. Stuff just does not mean much to me anymore and a reminder (partly) of why i have cc debt and i want to be happy with less! So i think about selling it or just getting rid of it but i just feel like i can't yet because of my cc debt. its like i haven't even paid for it yet. I think once i start to pay off my cc debt, i will be able to let go. Less stuff...less clutter...a simpler life. Any one else feel this way when they began DR's babysteps? I guess if i sold some things and put the money towards debt i would feel ok but i would prob not get what i paid for it and therefore not make much of a difference. I am going to work very hard at my second job and try to pay off all my cc as soon as i can. You guys are sooo helpful. I love ready your posts!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Maybe you could try letting go of a few, smaller things to get yourself started. Once you start to see things go, it has a snowball effect and you start to want to get rid of it all. There have to be some things laying around that aren't being used, but that also were not part of your debt. Maybe even if it isn't something to sell, but things you can give away and feel good that you are helping others?

Reactions: mamamia

·
4,028 Posts
I am trying to achieve a less cluttered home. Months ago I packed up the china hutch and amazingly there are very few items that I miss. Perhaps putting things in a box and tucked away will let you start to realize the importance (or lack) of the possessions.

Reactions: Early Bird

·
Registered
151 Posts
well, I can totally see your point if you did something like a buy now, pay later for a washer or new stove or soemthing like that. I would leave those bigger things for now (not really frugal in the med to long term to have no stove) But when I first started decluttering, to me it was so very overwhelming.

I decided on a certain number of things I would donate or sell, in a shot. Each shot would be not less frequent than once a month. So, at least once a month, I try to donate x amount of things...sometimes I try to fill a container, but I usually don't fret over donate vs sell right away. I just try to establish "get rid of" items. Then I list the "try to sell" items on kijiji. The items worth under $20 , after a couple weeks, I put in the donate box along with the donateables. It's just too hard mentally to worry about a $5 toy and field calls for months.. etc.

I also try to donate as I am bringing new stuff in. Last week I went to the States and got some "different" non perishables.. so right after I went with a few bags to put in items that we don;t use or can get rid of for the food bank. Its here and ready for halloween when they always come by for a food bank donation.

As I buy PJ's and put them in the drawer, I take out the too small ones , and donate them. That way there's never an overflow.

Right now, I have just listed blue's clues collection on kijiji, as well as Dora the Explorer book "lot". If they don't sell by the end of next week, I will donate them.
Today, I just donated a bunch of frametray jigsaw puzzles ds2 has outgrown to a low income friend, as well as a bag of hats and mitts to another low income friend for his kids.

For it to be successful, it really has to be an ongoing process, not just a one time purge.
GOOD LUCK! You can do it ;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Some things are very difficult to sell.

I would love to sell my big screen TV - it was bought spur of the moment on one of those 0% interest deals... thankfully, it's paid for, but just looking at reminds me of my stupidity and it irritates me.

But, I also think that selling a nice TV that we will be using for years is stupid. My last TV lasted for 14 years!

I recommend reading, "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. It is a short read and very motivating, even if you are not a believer in Feng Shui. A lot of the principles are just common sense.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I guess if i sold some things and put the money towards debt i would feel ok but i would prob not get what i paid for it and therefore not make much of a difference. I am going to work very hard at my second job and try to pay off all my cc as soon as i can.

Those 'little bits' ad up....no, you won't get what you paid for it, some lessons must be learned the hard way....can you pick a few things to keep, and sell the rest? those little bits add up! When I started attacking my debt I sold off a lot of designer purses on ebay...I allowed myself to keep a few favorites, but the rest went up for sale, and while initially I cringed when the $200 purse sold for $18, those amounts add up every month, and in the end...I really, truly, would rather have $18 less debt than another purse collecting debt in my closet, no matter what I paid for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I have never tried to sell anything on line. I like the idea of giving something away. That would make me feel good. I really plan on working this extra job and hopefully find a better fulltime job as a way to pay off my debt. I think once i start knocking off some cc's and see that this really works, i will be able to let go. Maybe try to sell one thing just to learn how that works and then go from there. :jug:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Good luck to you- it DOES really work, just don't get too discouraged when there's a slip up of some sort, an unexpected bill that throws you off track or such- just get back on that horse. What Dave says is true-as you start to see results, you get more motivated, more traction, and things start really happening for you....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support some more. I have been so scared about my debt. I can't sleep.I can't eat. I got to snap out of this! I just starting a second job yesterday and plan on using most of the money if not all to pay on debt. I hope I can come back here and post my success and encourage someone else soon! I have been re-reading TMMO to try and encourage myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You're in the right place to make a huge difference in your life and family tree. Take this nervousness and use it to help keep you motivated.

Make and keep your budget.
Pack up the clutter, store it in the garage and see if you miss it.
Keep the faith and keep working. Peace is just around the corner!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I slowly decluttered a year ago. Now I need to do it again since my closets are really a mess.

When I first started getting rid of things, especially furniture since it took me so long to get what I have, I really did notice I did not miss them. I only have one regret but I can live with it.

As for not getting back what you paid for something. Look at it this way. It is in your house right now taking up space, but if you sell an item, it will be out of your house and you will have more dollars then when you started with. Unless you bought priceless objects that have some how increased in value in todays market then you really are not going to see the same or more amount of money then when you bought it new. Most items lose value once you get it home.

Just start with one area, one piece of furniture, one closet at a time. Little by little you will realize how much stuff you have and really do not need.

I think it is harder to not bring unnecessary items into the home once you cleaned it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts