Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told my youngest son who is 14yrs old to go close the window vent in my greenhouse before the storm hit us 2 days ago ..he said sure so he when he came back in the house I asked him if he had also used the clip that makes sure it's secured he said yes I did....fast forward tonight my 2 older sons went out to lock my girls up (my chicken's) and noticed that my door was hanging off my greenhouse so I had my dh go out and check it and he comes back to tell me that the door is ruined and that whoever did the window vent last didn't..I immediately started screamijng at my son who tried to get out of it by saying I didn't tell him that..I know I told him and it's because he wanted to hurry up & get back in the house so he could play his x-box live game..I'm just heartbroken because there is a good chance that it will get ruined from all the high winds were having tonight..I DO NOT have the money to replace it after losing my job of 16yrs the money is just not there anymore :weeping: I truly love my Greenhouse it's my sanity,my therapy...My boy's lately have been doing things half a&&ed and I feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff trying not to jump off..Just the other day I went downstairs to get something out of the fridge and the door was opened because my 2 oldest son's threw all the roast beef I had bought on sale (more than 1/2 off the price per pound) and the door wasn't shut all the way (they didn't want to help me and was mad when I asked....hence why I say half a&&ed job) I got lucky that I didn't lose everything like 7 roast,8 gallons of milk ect..I know things could be alot worse but I've had enough of all this crap.I also know it's because my dh works 6 days a week 14 to 16hrs a day so it's just me and them..Thanks for listening.

· Registered
31,548 Posts
I am so sorry about your greenhouse. Personally, I would take away their xbox and games as punishment and not get it back until they start being more responsible. JMHO. Hugs to you. I hope it survives the storm.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry about your greenhouse. Personally, I would take away their xbox and games as punishment and not get it back until they start being more responsible. JMHO. Hugs to you. I hope it survives the storm.
My dh already told Dustin that he was going to smash it into a million pieces if my greenhouse is ruined..

· Registered
2,769 Posts
smashing it doesnt help
make them sell it and use the money for your greenhouse

· Registered
2,769 Posts
,oops you posted at same time i did lol

· Super Moderator
25,162 Posts
Logical consequences. The logical thing is what's already been said, make him sell the game to pay for his irresponsible act (or non-act). If that's not enough money to pay the damages, then he needs to sell something else or get himself a paper route or something to pay the rest.

Sorry this happened. I hope it all works out. It sounds like your husband is on the same page with you in the discipline department, and that's HUGE.

· Registered
608 Posts
My kids are younger than yours but my husband just started a weird schedule where he works tons of hours too. I'm trying to find ways to break the insanity of just me and the kids for so long every day.

Is school starting up so you will both get a break from each other? Is there any way you and your husband could sit down in what little spare time you have to discuss rules and then set them out for the kids? He would have to back you up on everything. Maybe enlist another adult who comes around often (relative or friend) to help you enforce things so it is consistent no matter who is around. The kids should take over some of the workload for you. Chores etc, so you aren't so stressed. Then they won't be so stressed and angry with you all the time.

Punishments for things like ruining groceries or the greenhouse door should be there. I agree with the other posters about selling the X-Box if the greenhouse/door is ruined.

Good luck and I hope the greenhouse survived.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Believe me when I say this if we didn't have that x-box my sanity would have been gone along time ago..like I said it's just me with the my boy's since my dh works so much it stops 50% off the fighting between a ALL TEENAGE house just by having that system..I totally focus myself 100% on my family and my boy's are very very spoiled..I did this to them now I'm paying the price for it! I don't hear the wind howling anymore so keeping my finger's crossed that the Greenhouse will be okay other than the broken door that my dh said he could fix..gotta love a hubby that can do just about anything..I'm hoping that my dh get's this job he applied for so he will be home by 5:00pm everyday instead of 9:00pm or later each night..I'm thinking my boy's are acting out because he's NEVER home and on weekends he only has Sunday off most weeks and both older boy's work every Sunday so they don't get to spend not even 6hrs with him..I'm not making excuses for them but I do think having their mom home 24/7 after working almost their whole lives has been a shock as my mil watched them all those years and let them do anything their heart's desired add in my dh not home and them having jobs and just getting their permit's is just as hard on them as it is me..KWIM? Thank's for letting me vent my fustration..Please pray that my dh get's this job so my boy's have their dad back.

· Registered
5,439 Posts
Brenda,

I am so sorry. I can seriously sympathize with you. My two went through a phase like your boys are going through. It took all I had not to go completely nuts. DS would half-a$$ do everything, had to be told numerous times before he would get up from the Xbox and do anything. DD developed selective hearing. I would just about have to scream just to get her to look up from whatever book she was reading.

Personally, I am not going to have DS or DD sell their items as a form of punishment. Nor am I going to throw out their items. I totally respect those who this works for, but I know it is not something I could do. When DS got too involved in his Xbox Live happenings and his chores or other responsibilities suffered, I took the power cord to the Xbox and sent it to work with DH. DH kept it in his office until DS showed signs of improvement. If I had kept the cord here, I would have given it back to him before his lesson had been learned.

It didn't happen overnight, but over time DS and DD began to show a little more care and resposibility. Little things like me not cleaning up their dirty clothes from their rooms, making them bring their dirty glasses out of their rooms, etc...If I told them to put their Powerade in the fridge at night for the following day's school or workout and they didn't, I didn't go behind them and do it. Instead, the next day they had a hot Powerade. If they didn't bring their glasses to the kitchen when I was washing, they either drank out of it dirty or they had to wash it themselves. If dirty clothes didn't make it to the laundry room, they either washed it themselves or wore stinky stuff. It only took a little stepping back on my part for them to step up a lot.

Trust me when I tell you it will get better.

Hugs for you! I will be thinking about you and praying your greenhouse suffers no damage.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My kids are younger than yours but my husband just started a weird schedule where he works tons of hours too. I'm trying to find ways to break the insanity of just me and the kids for so long every day.

Is school starting up so you will both get a break from each other? Is there any way you and your husband could sit down in what little spare time you have to discuss rules and then set them out for the kids? He would have to back you up on everything. Maybe enlist another adult who comes around often (relative or friend) to help you enforce things so it is consistent no matter who is around. The kids should take over some of the workload for you. Chores etc, so you aren't so stressed. Then they won't be so stressed and angry with you all the time.

Punishments for things like ruining groceries or the greenhouse door should be there. I agree with the other posters about selling the X-Box if the greenhouse/door is ruined.

Good luck and I hope the greenhouse survived.

Thank you! To answer some of your question's..yes, my 14yr &16yr old will be starting school in 10 day's..

Yes, my dh and I have already talked about setting rules..however they don't listen to me all the time and I try not to get my dh upset as he is under a tremendrous sp? amount of stress from his job.so I try not to burden him with anything else..

I don't have any other role model that I trust.

Boy's do chores daily around our house..

My boy's know that DAD is their PUNISHMENT..I'm learning to share my problem's with my dh lately..

This will pass..I'm just alot more emotional lately which I think I might be premenopause sp?

· Registered
127 Posts
Teenage boys-pitiful

brenda67

Sending you a big HUG and a lot of sympathy!! My grandson, who will turn 17 next month, is driving my daughter CRAZY !!! Nothing really bad, just doing stupid, nonsensical stuff. When he is playing his X-Box games, he also seems to lose his hearing ! LOL. She has also threatened to throw all his game equipment out the window (several times). I must getting soft in my grandmotherly days, because I don't think I would take their games away; then they would REALLY drive you insane !! Be strong. This too shall pass. :cheerup:

· Registered
83 Posts
Hugs to you. I have been there and am there right now but not for lack of trying different things on my part. Unfortunately for me, my oldest that is at home (I have one older that is on his own) is 20 going on 15. He came home because he said he couldn't live on what he was making at work and go to school. Since he came home, he has done as little as possible and it came to a yelling match when we came home from a family wedding last weekend and the house was a mess and he blamed me because I left him some dishes to do. He was already on his last legs after making my youngest (8 yr old autistic) scared of him because he was yelling at mom a week earlier. This has all made me remember why he wasn't living with us in the first place, but hopefully he will grow up some day.

Hopefully you will find something that will work for your kids. My daughter has grown up alot in the last few months since starting her job, but still has teenage moments of being in her own world. I think they all go there somedays and if something similar were to happen in this house, I think we would need to find something that works the best for you and will make the child who did the error remember not to do it again. Can you make him help your husband fix the door? Maybe if that isn't possible, he has to find some way to help pay for it since it was his misdoing that it happened. Whether that be selling a game (not the xbox itself but a game) Just wanted to show that you aren't the only one in this position. I believe it's got something to do with the new moon and weather and that school has been out toooooooooo long.

Hugs
Stacy

· Registered
758 Posts
Brenda, if you aren't willing to take away the game, what about taking away privledges like clean laundry, food in the fridge or prepared dinner? Rides to friends houses, work or school? A little Mom strike to show them how important it is for everyone to do their part?

They are teenaged boys and you dismiss their behavior as spoiled, but they are very close to getting out in the work world. *re you leaving it to a boss to discipline them, or fire them for half- a$$ing tasks? To do nothing is setting them up for real failure in life.

I say this as someone in an executive position, I quickly dispose of employees who don't give 100 percent. I can't tell you how many interns I've had to reassign to other departments and so much of it comes down to kids being coddled by their parents.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
I love having a Wii video game thing - because I can take it away at any time and they do not want that. Provides leverage in the parenting department.

I am dealing with lots of bad attitudes from my teen these days too. Last week he was giving me lip about taking him to soccer practice. I wanted to walk him up to make sure others were there. He is only 13 and doesn't have a cell phone and you can't see from the street. About half way up other parents pulled up and kids got out so I let him go ahead on his own. Except when he got to the wooded area where his friends were I yelled as loud as I could "I love you, Sunshine!". Maybe I am evil, but punishing hasn't stopped the bad mouth, so maybe embarassing him will.

Guess I got sidetracked, but trying to say that your kids are being like most kids (doesn't make it ok!). I hope your green house is ok, sorry about the job loss.

· Registered
9,397 Posts
Brenda , I notice you say your teen boys dont listen well to you. Mine (18 and 15) went through the same thing for quite a while. DAD was the punishment here too. After a certain age it just worked better. I talked to my Mom about it when it was driving me nuts and she said it was the same with my brother way back when. She said it is a teenage boy thing and there is something about once they tower over you. I think she was right!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.