Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my car insurance bill yesterday and 'their latest' is that the billing is for ONE YEAR.

This would have been all well and good......EXCEPT that I rec'd no notice of this........and the bill is due in three weeks. (smart move on their part.............they get my money to use for a whole year ---instead of 6 months.) DOUBLE THE AMT. OF COURSE!!

When I ?'d it......was told they are converting all their prior 6 mos. insurance billings to one year. (currently have my homes and car with same company but I see this changing-----soon --possibly)

Questions:

Who do you have for car insurance?

Do they bill this way?

Has your company changed the billing? If so, did you receive any kind of PRIOR notice??

G

·
My car insurance has always been 1 year policies. They offer a discount (3%) if you pay in full up front. Otherwise they want 20% for the first payment, then you can take up to 8 additional payments and pay a $4 "processing fee" per payment.

Of course, I'm in MA, and we have always had screwed up car insurance due to the state regulations.

We pay it all upfront and take the discount.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
There are good things about 1 year policies. The price won't go up in 6 months. And IF I were to pay it in full there is a discount. My policy has been for 1 year for quite sometime. They deduct monthly out of my account. I don't pay that monthly "processing fee".

FF I went to calling an ins broker who checks around places for who has the cheapest ins. I always call for better prices when I get a new bill in the mail.

·
Registered
955 Posts
We pay ours with monthly payments, which includes all vehicles (car, truck, motorcycle) and our house. Makes it much easier to budget. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeow.......wish I got a discount for paying it all. I get NADA --ZIP--zero........I get a monthly fee if I don't!!

Didn't know that many were annual.....mine have always been six months.......to avoid the fee.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We have geico

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
ugh sent too soon somehow
we have Geico
i love it
i know some think oh no no broker or insurance agent to call if you have an issue
we have had better service with them then when we went thru a agent- because there is NO go between - no me waiting for agent to call me with info the insurance co called them with 4 days ago . i am impatient with stuff like that .

there was a chain reaction accident on a bridge near me when i was the last in line although i barely ( if at all- i am not even sure i did touch the guy in front of me - i heard alot of cars smashing slowed down looked around then realized it was in my lane - i hit my breaks and stopped right at his bumper - i didnt think i even touched him but i stopped anyway just in case and because being an ex trauma nurse if anyone was hurt i could help - the guy in front of me rammed fast into the car in front of him smashed his front and the guys back and there was maybe 3 cars in front of him all ran into each other ( a open back truck dropped a mattress off it which started the whole thing )

guy was driving a beater - missing paint on back bumper - missing alot of it - usually if you are the last in a chain reaction they can blame you for alot more then you are guilty off.

when we had to pull off at the bottom of the bridge even though told to stay in our cars this fool got out and was taking pix of my dented license plate that was rusted were it was dented as if that caused damage to his car . i got annoyed and pretended i was taking pix of him with my phone and he ran back in his car LoL

he got out and was showing the cops the missing paint and pointing to my licesne plate which was no where near where he had missing paint and was dented and rusted in the dented areas
from trying to park in snow 2 years before and going to far into an iced snow pile , cops showed him it was not from my plate but he kept going on and on saying i pushed him into the other car .

in the end after the cars were inspected at our insurance car repair places - he was told there was no way my front end would have no damage if i hit him hard enough to cause the damage he had caused to his front and the car in front of his rear . i would have alot of damage to my front to do that .

alot of insurances would have been last car your to blame . i had alot of people tell me that happened to them .

whenever we get a ding in our windshields it gets fixed for free, ( happens frequently to dh with his highway driving and rocks being kicked up by trucks.)

when someone broke our old van window when it was in front of our house parked- we had it fixed the next day .

they give us the cheapest quote - esp with 2 teens driving and several choices of how to pay ( we do monthly online )

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I used to have Allstate, until shortly after I bought my new home. After approving it and giving me insurance, the following year, they said I didn't have enough clearance on one side. The side they were talking about was totally cleared, and in order to comply with their demand, I would have had to trespass into someone else's property and chop down all their brush. When I questioned them, they said that they had not actually visited my house the first time (even though the report said they did), and that it didn't matter, I had to clear it. When I asked for that in writing, including my statement that I had to trespass to do so, they said they would send it, but instead just sent me a generic statement about clearing for fire control

So...after probably 20 years with Allstate, I left them and went to Liberty Mutual for both my home and auto. I am VERY happy with my choice, and they charge every six months. The rep also bent over backwards, when I visited the office, to get me every possible discount he could get me. I've had it for years now, and my policy has never gone up.

Those stupid "in good hands" commercials still make me grind my teeth.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We are another who got rid of Allstate. We did exactly what they told us and used who they suggested on a roof repair. Their guy was a flake and they didn't want to pay when his job didn't hold. We are with Farm Beaureu (sp?) now.

Even with the horrid Allstate, we were given a choice on how to pay. It was either monthly or quarterly (don't remember), 6 month or year. Of course there was a discount for the year.

·
Registered
432 Posts
We have insurance through a local company, and I just started paying it yearly. For 6-month payments, they tacked on an $8 processing fee with each payment! I'm not making enough interest on my money to justify paying that, so I moved some things around in the budget to be able to pay a year's worth at a time. The only upside is that I charge it to a rewards Visa and pay if off immediately, creating my own little 1% discount in the form of cash back from the credit card ;-)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have both my home & auto insurance with The Hartford thru AARP.
My auto insurance is drafted from my bank account monthly with no additional fees.
So if you're at least 50 years old, check out AARP insurance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
We also have all our home and auto insurance with Hartford through AARP. I'm not old enough but my husband is, so the policy is in his name, but that's fine (my name is on the insurance card too). It ended up saving us THOUSANDS of dollars on two houses and three cars from the carrier we had before (Farmers). Car insurance alone was a $900 a year savings. Our policies run 6 months. Recently, I came out of the grocery store and noticed a ding in my door of my SUV from a runaway cart. Hartford covered it, no questions asked, and provided a rent car. They also considered it a "no fault" claim and our premium will not go up because of it (it was an $800 repair!). So, if someone in your family is over 50, it's a good idea to check into the AARP-endorsed providers.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have Farmers and my car insurance is for 6 months. I have the option to pay monthly, in two payments, or all at once. If I pay monthly or in two payments there is an extra fee for each payment. If I pay 6 months in full, I get a discount and no fee.

·
Registered
85 Posts
most place around her wont do a year at atime bc if you get in a accdent they cant raise your rates as fast. ours is state farm every 6 months we had geico before and when we bought the house they said there was no discount for haveing multiple policy with them had never heard of tehat before so we switched and saved a few hundred a year.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
We have Arbella. They used to allow monthly payments without a fee but discontinued that recently without notice.

We have the car and house insurance with them so we do get a 10% loyal credit and 5% (I think) low mileage discount. We recently raised the deductible on the house insurance to reduce the annual premium.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all who answered........I called a couple yesterday.

I just paid the house ins. in Jan. so it will probably go up if I don't keep the same company.........but---can change that too.

It has pretty much been a mess since I go caught up in that AIG thing.........they sold their ins. part.........which then sold AGAIN.........and then AGAIN......and it went to Farmer's. I D/N like Farmer's.........they are SUPER HIGH here......was with them years ago........and saved myself OVER $400 a year by switching!!

I HATE INSURANCE SHOPPING!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.