Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you shop around for car insurance?

We were told it's best to shop around every couple years so that's what we have been doing. It's amazing how you call around and think you have the best price.. then a couple yrs later you can find someone else cheaper.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We have been with USAA for 10+ years now. We call around every couple of years for some quotes. We've never found anyone who can beat their prices. They insure both our home and our vehicles.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have been with state farm since I started driving at 16. When we bought our car, they quoted us $108/ mo for our liability on our old Honda and full on our new Yaris. I got quotes from other places and everyone was $50+ more a month. I even had one guy tell me, "there's no way anyone is going to top that". When the bills actually started coming in, it ended up being $98 a month. Not to shabby. I supposed it doesn't hurt to look, but I think our people give us a good deal because I have been with them for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
We're insure both our house and car with State Farm, and will never go anywhere else regardless of price.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DH works in the finance department of a huge insurance company. We do not use their insrance for our cars - too expensive, we use Geico. We have been with Geico for about six or seven years and have had wonderful service. Our rates dropped in half this January. Prior that, we were insured through the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. They offer insurance at huge discount to its members, it was just a little difficult to get claims paid in a timely manner.

We do not shop around, Geico has been way too good to us. Even if someone could give us a cheaper rate, it would not be worth it - we are just way too happy to switch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We got state Farm shortly after we were married because they were the cheapest. I looked around a few more times, but I haven't been able to find anything cheaper. We pay $84 a month for full coverage on our alero, and liability on DH 73 truck. We also have a life insurance policy (for me) that's included in that price. It's hard to find companies that will cover DH classic vehicles. He also had a 70 camero, but we don't have insurance on it. I like to get it though.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
We too have SF and have never been able to find anyone to beat their price. We also have our homeowners with them so we get a discount for having 2 policies with them :)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have Allstate and people keep telling me it's cheaper elsewhere but guess what? We checked around and only one company could get it for us cheaper. And that was only $150 a year. I have been with Allstate for over 20 years and in fact they have overlooked a speeding ticket from my dd, and have gone above and beyond in service. So switch for $150 I don't think so.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We have State Farm and have never found anyone cheaper. Also the service is excellent, we have had 2 claims and they were handled wonderfully. We have our house insurance, life insurance, car insurance and umbrella policy with them and we get a discount for having everything together.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to say I'm surprised at the number of people on here who have State Farm and can't find anyone cheaper! That is who we had when we got married. We had both been with them seperately as long as we could both remembered and then stayed with them for 3-4 yrs after we got married. That's when we checked around and found out at least here they were way higher than everyone else and we had our House, Boat & 3 cars with them.

Sometimes I do wonder if the agent has anything to really do with Price. Before I got married my car was still under my parents insurance and when I got married we of course switched it over to our name and my DH's agent said she couldn't believe we were getting such a great deal on my car.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We were with State Farm for about 2 years until I was advised to look at farm bureau.

With state farm, we had full coverage on a buick and kia and it cost 173 a month, our homeowners was almost a grand a year.

With Farm Bureau, we pay a 45$ annual fee, 130 a month for full coverage on two kias, and 700 dollars for better coverage for the house. Plus the deductible is better. If somehting happens to the house, while the cars are in the garage, we only pay 1 deductible instead of 3 like we would have had to at State Farm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts