Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't have one.......get one now.

We have an old one that hangs on the wall and uses batteries and I noticed a year or so ago that it wasn't working anymore. I saw a piece on tv that said the ones that plug in with a battery backup are better so I put it on my shopping to-do list and never got around to getting one until a month ago.

Last night at 3 am, the carbon monoxide detector went off and after DH and I got all the dogs out of the house, I called the fire department. They said that the levels in our house were the highest in the master bedroom, where we were sleeping. They had us evacuate the house until we could get a heating/cooling person out to check the furnace in the morning.

Thank goodness I finally bought a detector so I wanted to warn anyone without one to buy one. It could save your life. Our furnace is only 8-9 years old so I never thought this would happen to us.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Dh got a free one from a friend of his who works at the fire Dept. He hasn't put it up yet. I'll have to remind him again.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I am so glad you all were OK, and everyone is safe and sound.

Blessings,

Reactions: RABBIT

·
Registered
906 Posts
I like the ones that plug into a regular AC with battery backup (except that it squawks when the power goes out). Our hardwired one malfunctioned during one of the boy's sleepovers. The kids got to play in the cold and watch the big red truck come up. That was fun telling parents.

·
Registered
316 Posts
very good of you to remind people. ours went off about a month ago. the gas co. asked if we recently had work done on the house. we had. we had an addition put on. well, apparently SOMEONE put the old metal drip edge down our chimney and it was blocking a hole. how does a 10 ft. or however many feet it was fall into a chimney????

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Ours is about 2 years old (the furnace, not the detector) and we were even told by the home inspector to get one. It was instructed to us to put it on the lowest level of the home since carbon monoxide is extremely dense.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Wow........so glad you got out WITH THE ANIMALS.

I have one on each level but they aren't plug in....maybe I will get another --plug in --for the lower level.

What did they find out was wrong? What would be the reason that it was highest in your bedroom? Where is the furnace?

My furnace is in the basement........and have always heard that you should have one near it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The firemen told us they thought it was either the furnace or the hot water heater since they are directly under the master bedroom in the basement. Once they turned the furnace off the levels started to go down in the house so we fiqured that was what it was. We ended up having a new furnace put in.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
The firemen told us they thought it was either the furnace or the hot water heater since they are directly under the master bedroom in the basement. Once they turned the furnace off the levels started to go down in the house so we fiqured that was what it was. We ended up having a new furnace put in.
Thanks for answering.

Also makes me feel better about where I put the one upstairs (out in a hallway) BUT have been thinking about getting one for the LR and now I know I will FOR SURE, but change the place I was going to put it.

My furnace and water heater (both gas) are in the basement and I have one down there --not far from the furnace.......thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
WOW! So glad you are all OK - great reminder.
Our new house (we bought last March) has a hard-wired CO detector. and an ELECTRIC furnace and water heater and stove. Haven't figured that one out yet....... :)
The mom of the baby I work with wanted me to help her bring the generator in the house during the ice storm!!! I pointed out that it would kill us all, and she didn't know why!

·
Registered
358 Posts
It was instructed to us to put it on the lowest level of the home since carbon monoxide is extremely dense.
This is extremely bad advice!! The inspector was getting confused with carbon DIoxide, which is denser than air. Carbon MONoxide is very slightly lighter than air. The detector should be in or just outside your bedroom, on whatever level that is. It needs to be able to detect the same air you are breathing when you sleep.

EDIT: But having a second detector near the furnace will give you early warning.

·
Registered
906 Posts
EDIT: But having a second detector near the furnace will give you early warning.
You don't want it close to the unit. Even perfectly functioning units can give off enough to set off a detector that is too close. Be sure to read the instructions on the unit you buy. It will give you suggested placements for optimum function.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We too had an experience with our former house & the detectors going off (we always had two). The first time, I'd opened the windows and cleared the house, so the levels were back down by the time the furnace guy got there & they tried to tell me it was ok. Of course, they went off again as soon as I closed the house back up. Got a new furnace guy & a new furnace the next day.

I'd been having headaches for weeks, and I'm determined it was caused by the carbon monoxide. This was back when they didn't actually read levels on the detectors, but the detector would go off once they reached a certain level. I think I was poisoned for weeks at a low level, and I was the one home all the time, so it effected me most. My headaches went away after getting the new furnace.

I highly recommend getting a detector that shows an actual reading. Mine reads 0 all of the time, anything above that would be unacceptable to me after my past experiences. I always have a detector on both levels of the home, including an upstairs bedroom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.