Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Maybe try a pilates class and work on getting some core strength back. Then take the weights slow. Give your body time to recover.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just googled beginner weights workout and jumped in. If you’re getting sore you’re either using too much weight or you’re extending too far when you do the movement (or both). I would start with body weight exercises (squats, push ups, sit ups) and then when you’ve made progress there (5 each a day, 10 each a day, etc) or get bored with those, look at weight machine equivalents at your gym. Start with lowest weight and only 5 reps and see how you feel. If it feels too easy, go up just a little next time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try using just your body weight, or, swimming for gentle resistance. When body weight becomes easy, increase by 5 lb increments. Resistance bands help, too.Jumping in at previous levels after months, or years is guaranteed to cause injury. Pain is your bodys way of saying stop, and, think. Yes, "no pain, no gain", BUT, "All things in moderation". Also, if your gym has a PT on staff, ask them. You may not be strengthening your muscles in the right order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You should start with simple exercises. When you immediately begin to heavily load the body, it considers that this is a threat to it. Therefore, you stop exercising for a long time. So you should start your exercises with a warm-up. You can also introduce more physical activity into your daily routine - for example, ride a bike instead of a car - it will help you to train your body for other exercises, walk. And don't expect immediate results - your body needs to adjust to the new rhythm of your physical activity. Do it in a way that makes you feel joy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good on you for getting back into it! I would suggest sticking to really gentle forms of exercise such as swimming, yoga and pilates. Using your own body weight tones your body and helps to prevent super sore muscles. It's also great to take a good, brisk walk every day. Once you're feeling stronger, you can try those weights again. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts