Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while at work my husband was looking out the door and saw a woman in a suv with a child get in an argument with another women, this is in the parking lot of the bar I live above, the woman pulled a gun and threatened to shoot the other woman with the child watching.

The cops came and saw our door open and questioned my husband he told them all that he saw which was the whole thing, the cops checked out the gun,etc then gave the woman her gun back then let her go.

WTF.:bs2::bs:

The cops let her go. This is the Wheeling cops, they have to have the state police come in and do the job.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Isn't that pretty clearly a violation of a gun permit? That is terrifying to me, to that someone that hostile and with that kind of judgment immediately got their gun back without some kind of cooling off period?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that pretty clearly a violation of a gun permit? That is terrifying to me, to that someone that hostile and with that kind of judgment immediately got their gun back without some kind of cooling off period?
I agree, the city cops around here do not do a lot, where I work on Wheeling Island there is alot of drug activity, prostitution, etc. when they (the city) want to clean up the area they have to call in the State Police to make arrests. The state police will stop any vehicles with out of state plates and check for drugs, etc. One time they stopped 12 people in 1 hour.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
In many places your car is considered the same as your home. IE, if you are in your car and being threatened you can respond with deadly force as if you were in your home and being threatened.

Also, in many places a concealed carry permit allows people to carry firearms in their car.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The title says carrying guns, but the woman could just as easily wielded a knife at the woman with the child, as well, can't say as the gun was the problem, here. My twooooo cents.

Sorry to hear you are in such an area, with not feeling supported by the law enforcement, that has to be rough! Living over a bar I'm sure you two have to hear and deal with a few parking lot situations.

Did your husband get to hear what was said or just saw the actions?

Reactions: mh3rdwheel

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well now we have open carry here. And we just tell them theres a gun it the car when transpoting if pulled over (DH has CPL) but threatening someone? Diff story IMHO. Was she in the car when she did it.
To me it sounds like a case of "bigger fish to fry" on the cops part. You said it was a bar so is there a lot of trouble there?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't know the laws there. Here however, threatening someone with a gun is a crime... even if you have carry permit and are doing it in defense of life.

If you actually shoot someone (in defense of life or property), that's legal. But you cannot merely threaten to shoot. It's only legal for me to pull my gun out if I actually pull the trigger too. LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
[Don't know the laws there. Here however, threatening someone with a gun is a crime... even if you have carry permit and are doing it in defense of life.

If you actually shoot someone (in defense of life or property), that's legal. But you cannot merely threaten to shoot. It's only legal for me to pull my gun out if I actually pull the trigger too. LOL.
There's really no shortage of idiots that claim to be firearms instructors these days. Since this is a frugality site. I'll suggest that anyone who believes the above, find the instructor who attempted to pass that line of horse hockey off as training and demand their money back.

As to the OP's story? Having been a LEO. I can only offer my personal experience. That being, that people who live above bars generally do so because they have made the decision to live the high drama lifestyle that inevitably goes with living above such a establishment. The OP should find someplace else to live. No matter how street smart they think themselves to be. ending up on the wrong side of the law is almost an inevitability in such a living situation. The rents not any cheaper if you have to pay a lawyer felony rates.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As to the OP's story? Having been a LEO. I can only offer my personal experience. That being, that people who live above bars generally do so because they have made the decision to live the high drama lifestyle that inevitably goes with living above such a establishment. The OP should find someplace else to live. No matter how street smart they think themselves to be. ending up on the wrong side of the law is almost an inevitability in such a living situation. The rents not any cheaper if you have to pay a lawyer felony rates.
What exactly does this add to the discussion at hand? Is there really a need to be criticizing the OP's living arrangements and essentially calling her a "criminal in training"?

Really Rook, not necessary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What exactly does this add to the discussion at hand? Is there really a need to be criticizing the OP's living arrangements and essentially calling her a "criminal in training"?

Really Rook, not necessary.
I didn't call her a criminal in training.

The OP is trolling for a cop bashing thread. Basically "the evil authorities aren't protecting me even though I choose to live in about the highest drama and crime situation one can live in short of living on the front steps of a crack house.

Whats it add to the discussion? simply my Dear Abby advise...Which is of course...Move somewhere, where there's less potential to get sucked into other peoples dramas. Having worked in a couple of jails, I can assure you there are plenty of people in there, that are there not because they are hardened criminal masterminds, but rather because they chose the wrong life style, the wrong associates, or in some cases just chose to live in the wrong place to long. Sometimes you don't have to go looking for trouble. Sometimes, if you live in the wrong place...The trouble just finds you.

Reactions: FrugalKate

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Wow, Seriously, Judge much?

·
Registered
265 Posts

The OP is trolling for a cop bashing thread. Basically "the evil authorities aren't protecting me even though I choose to live in about the highest drama and crime situation one can live in short of living on the front steps of a crack house.

Whats it add to the discussion? simply my Dear Abby advise...Which is of course...Move somewhere, where there's less potential to get sucked into other peoples dramas. Having worked in a couple of jails, I can assure you there are plenty of people in there, that are there not because they are hardened criminal masterminds, but rather because they chose the wrong life style, the wrong associates, or in some cases just chose to live in the wrong place to long. Sometimes you don't have to go looking for trouble. Sometimes, if you live in the wrong place...The trouble just finds you.
Whatever you want to think...

You know you come off as rather abrasive in a lot of your posts here, eh?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The title says carrying guns, but the woman could just as easily wielded a knife at the woman with the child, as well, can't say as the gun was the problem, here. My twooooo cents.

Sorry to hear you are in such an area, with not feeling supported by the law enforcement, that has to be rough! Living over a bar I'm sure you two have to hear and deal with a few parking lot situations.

Did your husband get to hear what was said or just saw the actions?
Yes my husband saw everything I am not sure if he heard everything.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there's really no shortage of idiots that claim to be firearms instructors these days. Since this is a frugality site. I'll suggest that anyone who believes the above, find the instructor who attempted to pass that line of horse hockey off as training and demand their money back.

As to the op's story? Having been a leo. I can only offer my personal experience. That being, that people who live above bars generally do so because they have made the decision to live the high drama lifestyle that inevitably goes with living above such a establishment. The op should find someplace else to live. No matter how street smart they think themselves to be. Ending up on the wrong side of the law is almost an inevitability in such a living situation. The rents not any cheaper if you have to pay a lawyer felony rates.
i choose to live above a bar ,to living on the street. My husband is disabled and at the time fighting for disability, my boss gave us a free place to live. What would you have done in my situation. I go to sleep listening to loud music and idiots, and wake up to when the bar is closing.

Maybe you would rather live on the street.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well now we have open carry here. And we just tell them theres a gun it the car when transpoting if pulled over (DH has CPL) but threatening someone? Diff story IMHO. Was she in the car when she did it.
To me it sounds like a case of "bigger fish to fry" on the cops part. You said it was a bar so is there a lot of trouble there?
No she was outside of the vehicle and she had the child with her, the other woman disappeared.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I ride three wheeled motorcycles, (I am a biker/triker girl), I get along with a lot of cops, I would help them out. I will be moving as soon as i can afford to.

Are you saying that I am a criminal, yes I spent time in jail in Ohio and PA, but I learned my lession. I will not turn the other cheek if I see wrong doing, I will speak my mind. I have seen alot since moving here, but i will speak my mind.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Since what the people were saying to each other when the gun was drawn wasn't heard by any of us, then we can only speculate about the situation. If the woman drew her weapon and the police gave it back, the only thing that I can speculate is that she was afraid for her life and was protecting herself.

Again, this is only speculation... Which really is just guessiing... We all know how close guessing is to assuming. And, we all know what they say about assuming...

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Well said zakity. Seeing something versus truly witnessing the whole event can make a huge difference as well. An example of this is seeing a 30 second clip of a situation without knowing any external factors .

For example, our family was driving along the interstate and witnessed a man shove a woman off his motorcycle and then run over her (along the shoulder). Hubby is in law enforcement. I immediately called 911 and hubby went to assist the 'victim', and immediately introduced himself as a police officer. The victim was so nasty and abrasive to the point that she was shoving my husband. Hubby had to restrain her so she wouldn't continue to shove him and/or make a run back onto the interstate.

Thinking back on it, I'm sure all the people driving by thought it was something more sinister than hubby trying to assist a cracked out woman that had been ran over. If it had been video-taped, I am sure it would have looked awful.

Anyway, when the on-duty officers responded, the woman claimed to have not been ran over, stated that hubby and I were making it up. Because she refused to press charges or file a report, there was nothing local law enforcement could do. IN many instances, law enforcement's hands are tied due to the cooperation (or lack thereof) of the victim and the way the laws are written .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts