Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15-year-old cat Casey has been SO lethargic lately and has been losing weight. He also has had some vomiting and diarrhea and has been going outside of his litter box.

At first I thought maybe it was a hairball that wouldn't pass, but I've been giving him a little laxatone every day and no hairball yet. I also have been giving him digestive enzymes for cats (pouring it over a little bit of tuna fish) and that hasn't helped either. :(

I was going to take him in to the vet, but they are not open today. First thing Monday morning, I will be taking him though. Poor baby.

I hope nothing serious is wrong with him....he is like a child to me (I have no children - just a dog and cat). Every time he looks at me now, he seems to be saying "help me" with this look in his eyes. It breaks my heart. :(

Just had to talk about it and get it off of my chest. Thank you for listening...

·
27,948 Posts
I'm sorry Andrea. I hope you don't hear what you think you will. :hug2: If he's in pain I'd see if they could see him before Monday.
Wishing you my best.

Reactions: acox68

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would suggest keeping him warm, lots of fresh, clean water next to him. Poor baby, Monday can't come soon enough I'm sure for you.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Aww poor baby.

Maybe there's another vet open today? It might be a good idea to call around and see. :hugz:

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You might want to stop giving him laxatone if he is vomiting and has diarreah. May be adding to the diarreah. Try keeping him in a warm area with little disturbance. I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Very sorry to hear Casey is not well. I don't have cats, so can't offer any advice, except to agree that if he is not eating and is still vomiting and has diarrhea, you might want to try to find an emergency vet clinic in your area. They are pricey, but 36 more hours is a long time to wait.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, everyone....he is still eating some and hasn't gone outside the litter box in a couple of days, but I'm still concerned because of the weight he has lost. He's never been a huge cat, but now he is downright skinny. It seems like it happened over night.

There might be a clinic open tomorrow (I'll call in the a.m.), but if not, first thing Monday morning I will take him to his regular vet as soon as they open the doors.

He just "acts" a little different. Doesn't want to be around us as much (is hiding) and the look he gives me makes me think he is a little uncomfortable. He does still clean himself a little though, so it's really hard to tell. I may be projecting my worries on to him (?) and reading the situation wrong. Wouldn't be the first time...LOL.

·
Registered
746 Posts
36 hours is a long time. I too agree with the Evet suggestion. The dramatic weight loss that you are seeing is most likely dehydration. He won't rehydrate with normal drinking (no animal will) and will need fluids either subq or IV.

Here's hoping for better days for the both of you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found an animal clinic open today (not my regular one) and he has an appt. for Noon today.

Casey didn't eat anything through the night, but did get excited over some tuna that I gave him a littlel while ago (only ate maybe a tablespoon of tuna though).

I really hope and pray he doesn't have kidney failure....we had a cat before that was the same breed and had to put him to sleep because of kidney failure. I just don't want him to suffer any. :(

Thanks everyone for your advice and well-wishes. I'll keep you updated....

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am so sorry....

I understand your pain and frustration...Just remember whatever happens it is for the best....hoping that he can pop a few pills and feel better....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone....we just got home from the whole ordeal. We don't take him to the vet often, so I felt like the bad parent the whole time. They were nice, but there was this "undertone" of "why don't you take him to the vet more often?". It could have been my perception though and my guilt talking.

Nothing conclusive yet, but they took a blood/urine test, gave him fluids, and antibiotic shots/pills. They are doing a regular blood panel as well as for feline lukemia/aids.

He seems to be doing OK now :purpcat: (laying peacefully on the coffee table), but bless his heart, he looked traumatized when they brought him back out from all the tests.

I hope and pray he will be OK. Thank you for encouraging me to take him in sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I think all cats look traumatized at the vet. Something about not getting their own way for a change. ;)

I am glad you got him in. The fact that they sent him home with you is promising. Give him some love and some tuna, and I'm sure he will forgive you for the vet visit.

Hope they find it is something minor.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks for the update Andrea, was wondering how Casey was doing. So glad you got him to the vet and home. As Madhen said that is a good sign I hope. Hugs and Blessings to you and Casey.

·
Registered
708 Posts
This makes me happy...

Glad to see they sent him home with you...that is a very good sign...and don't feel bad about not taking the cat to the vet very often...I do not take my pets to the vet every year unless they are ill....I take them to get their rabies, leukemia and distemper shots when needed however they dont get yearly exams... to expensive...anywhoo... glad to hear he is feeling a little better...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yea, my cat had a wierd expression when they took her temperature the hard way. Hope they can figure out what is going on with you kitty. But can't helping thinking they let you take him home so maybe not that serious. Let us know why the test results are.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Casey seems to be feeling much better today because he's eating his regular food again and drinking more. He just "looks" better to me. Not as frail looking and the fluids they gave him made him look a little more plump.

Last night he FINALLY came to me after sulking and being mad all day...LOL. He wanted me to pet him constantly for a good long while. Even came up to bed with us and stayed most of the night which he hasn't done for weeks.

I really hope he just had something minor going on....I need to run out and get some of those little pill pockets so he can take his medicine...

Thank you ALL for your hugs, well-wishes, and concern. It means a LOT to me!

·
27,948 Posts
Glad he's looking better! I've never heard of those pockets before, do they really work? My cat would probably spit the pill out as it's eating the treat. I hate giving cats pills.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
So glad he is feeling better.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Darlene, I made it "treat time" for the dog and cat at the same time (hoping it would be associated as "fun" for Casey). At first, I put the pill pocket down on the floor by itself and he snubbed it. Well, then I put his other treats around the pill pocket and he ate it all up! haha It was TOO cute!

They are expensive though (Greenies makes them). I signed up for the discount card and got $1 off, but even then it came to over $6 for 45 pill pockets. Guess I'm in the WRONG business....LOL.

Reactions: Darlene
1 - 20 of 47 Posts