Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added together all of my cash that I have stashed around the house and it adds up to $580! I don't know what I am saving it for, but it feels good to know that if somehow our accounts were all drained we could still eat and pay the electric bill for a short time! I may cut it back to $500 and leave it at that. What do you think is a good amount to keep at home(for peace of mind)?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I haven't thought about it too much but I like to have enough money for our needs for 2 weeks at a time. If it's the beginning of the month when rent is due, I'd say that's around €600. The rest of the month, maybe €250-300.

I don't usually have this much cash. I usually have around €100 and DH usually has around €50. We have no extra money stored away that's not in our wallets - I like to keep a close eye on where everything is at all times!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Right now I have about $2000 hidden and will add a couple more $1000 after my bill's are paid this month..Why do I have that much cash? Because if the shtf or a bank holiday happen's I want ALL our money right here where I/we have access to it! I also keep money in my vehicle hidden in case of a emergency..I might sound paranoid but it's better to be safe than sorry imho..So, I can't really say what a good amount is..

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I usually have around $25 (occasionally $50) plus laundry quarters (varies up to about $20-30). A little loose change, but I roll and deposit that as soon as I have enough of any type of coin. It's rarely more than a few dollars. Usually $5-10 in my purse, but sometimes less than that. I use very little cash and I really don't like having it around or carrying much. Too many things can happen to it. That's more than I used to keep.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Cash in the house would give me the opposite of peace of mind - whatever that might be (war of mind?). I don't use cash, don't carry cash, and don't keep cash in my house.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Besides the 800 plus in change I have been saving 1.00 bills since March 2010 and so far I have 2300 dollars in 1.00 dollar bills.
Fern

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Cash in the house would give me the opposite of peace of mind - whatever that might be (war of mind?). I don't use cash, don't carry cash, and don't keep cash in my house.[/QUOTE

What would you do if the ATM'S weren't working? I actually had this happen to me last year I was a hour away from home..I felt the stress hit me instantly..I just by fluke and I mean just buy fluke had $300 ( that same day my brother paid me back the money I loaned him)on me as I never ever had cash on me..I learned real quick that day that you should alway's have cash on hand just in case..Think about how many people are totally dependant on the electronic system's to access their money or using their credit card or even a check..

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We have a $200 in cash on hand a emergency gas card. Jar full of change. Hubby keeps $50 stuck in his wallet i do to. Just in case the car would break down. Need a tow truck. Or have to call a cab ect in the city.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very little . I dont like the idea of keeping much cash around. I always make sure I have a few 20's though, in case i need an emergency plow (hey, i do live in Canada and i DON'T shovel.)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
After living in Florida during the 2004 hurricane season, when cash was the only way to purchase anything for almost a week in some areas because of power outages I do keep a couple $100 in our storm kit. That kit is ready for year round use, because I know where I live in NC we are still subject to hurricanes but also ice storms in the winter months. I keep enough cash in each of our cars to cover a the cost of a gas fill up, just incase an event happens, we aren't at home and have no way to get back here to get cash out of kit. I figure the cash in the car will atleast get me somewhere that has power to access and atm machine.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
What would you do if the ATM'S weren't working? I actually had this happen to me last year I was a hour away from home..I felt the stress hit me instantly..I just by fluke and I mean just buy fluke had $300 ( that same day my brother paid me back the money I loaned him)on me as I never ever had cash on me..I learned real quick that day that you should alway's have cash on hand just in case..Think about how many people are totally dependant on the electronic system's to access their money or using their credit card or even a check..
I can't remember the last time I went to an ATM, because I don't use cash for anything. If the payment system was down, I just wouldn't buy anything that day.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I can't remember the last time I went to an ATM, because I don't use cash for anything. If the payment system was down, I just wouldn't buy anything that day.
It might be easy to go one day without buying anything. But in the event of a natural disaster electronics can be down for several days. The town I lived in while in Fl. in 2004, businesses operated out of a cigar box for almost 2 weeks. The only gas stations selling gas were ones with the old fashioned pumps and then you needed cash to pay for gas.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
depending...anywhere between $500 - 2000....

yrs back there were rolling blackouts...pretty scray!

and, just like to have cash on hand.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
It might be easy to go one day without buying anything. But in the event of a natural disaster electronics can be down for several days. The town I lived in while in Fl. in 2004, businesses operated out of a cigar box for almost 2 weeks. The only gas stations selling gas were ones with the old fashioned pumps and then you needed cash to pay for gas.
Same here. Nothing here worked and gas was limited to $20 and cash only. No gas cans to be had so if you wanted gas for a generator and you ALREADY had cans, you had to go to a town an hour away with the gas cans and put gas in car to fill up. Luckily we had cash at home.
We keep cash. The more the better. I hate banks.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I imagine it would depend on where you live. Colorado doesn't have much in the way of natural disasters. The closest we have might be a giant blizzard, but I wouldn't be getting out of the house to spend money anyway.

In the past 14 years, since I started using credit cards, there has not once been a time I needed something that only accepted cash. There is one concert venue that doesn't take credit cards when purchasing tickets, one restaurant that doesn't take credit cards, and that's it for the places I go. Neither of those places are on my "gotta be prepared in case of emergency" list.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
If the power is out, everything is closed. There are no old-fashioned gas pumps here. No electricity = no gas, period. Nobody operates without power.

If there is a hurricane or major winter storm they call a state of emergency and you don't leave your home. Again, there would be nobody anywhere to take your money.

I don't have a generator, so I wouldn't be driving to another town to get gas. If I did drive to another town to buy something, that would mean that they had power, which means my card would work and/or their bank would be open.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Before the power came back on the stations had generators. No, no gas at that point but they carry water, ice, food, milk etc to sell. When it came back on and the pumps worked they had a $20 limit on the gas. Cash only. Cash only for the food/water.

People here have generators. Alot of people do and yes the card works in the other town IF you have a debit card. We didn't. We just got a debit card a few months ago for the first time ever. But it was still several days before anyone here would take credit or debit. Don't know why. Since it didn't apply to us since we had cash we didn't ask cause we didn't care.

Reactions: MakeADollarHollar

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I survived the 2004 Hurricane Season. Took two direct hits in less than a month with devastation in all directions. Was without power for three weeks during Frances, got power back for just about a week and was immediately hit by Jeanne and was without power for another week and a half. I didn't need to purchase anything because I was prepared but friends and neighbors weren't. Cash is King during a disaster or emergency...Natural or otherwise. Just make sure it's small bills as "change" can be hard to come by.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts