Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris, Dakota and me went to HEB to cash in our change jar. It was so heavy I could barely carry it. I kept telling DH I think there has to be at least $100 in there.
He said maybe $50. Well, we used the coinstar so they keep some of it, but it was better than rolling it and taking it to the bank. The boys kept saying mom we are at 50.00. We are at 60.00 and it kept going and going. Are you ready for the total??

The total cashed in was $221.44.
Coinstar kept $19.71.
I got back $201.73.

I couldn't believe that all that change added up to that. I am so excited. We always save our loose change and cash it in at vacation time to give us extra spending cash. I just threw all that cash back in the jar because we don't go on vacation until the week of July 21st. I wonder how much more I can add to that total?

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Wow! That's great Michelle!:thumb: But why do they take some money for cashing in your coins? At my bank, it's free, to deposit our change. Still, You got a big amount of money! That was worth saving all your change!:)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The coinstar is a machine that is in some places, not where I am, but its easier to use then the bank, so they charge a % for the ease of use.
WTG Michelle!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good description Mel! It just charges you for the ease of it. You don't have to roll your coins you just drop them in and they sort them out for you. So, I guess that is why.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Michelle! Great job! Commerce Bank here does it for free. It's a shame coinstar took so much of your booty....

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Oh...I thought you rooled your change and brought there an dthey charged a fee...That's why I thought, why do they charge a fee?....It saves you lots of time, I guess.:) I wonder if we have something like that here, in Quebec or Canada? This is the first time I hear about Coin Star...

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
WTG Michelle, that is great. What a wonderful suprise!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You did great Michelle, my bank has a machine and does it free too......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Lucy- Usually those change machines are by the front door of some grocery stores around here- so you may want to look and see if your grocery store has a machine.

I don't understand why banks make you roll them- wouldn't they have to unroll them to make sure you didn't short change them or put spacers in and totally rip them off? I'm certainly not the best or the brightest, so if I can think of things like that, I'm sure more ingenious criminals would actually do that.

At any rate, that's a huge amount of spare change. Hope you have fun with it on vacation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts